The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the pods on this stuff less fragile as they get drier. Checked them yesterday when everything was wet and was surprised how easily they opened up.:confused:
Was thinking about swathing the stuff since it was so wet and couldn't do anything else in the field. I was leaving it to straight combine. Top pods have color change already. Probably -3C for tonight.
My will be my first attempt at straight cutting canola.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Its way more shatter resistant, we chicken'd out and swathed half of what we were going to leave to straight cut and was blown away how little shattered. The seeds were practically all black. What does seem strange is how even and quickly it seems to be maturing, it seems like it really is meant for straight cutting. Just not sure we really have the season for it. Not in the bin yet but its looking like some of our best canola.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Its way more shatter resistant, we chicken'd out and swathed half of what we were going to leave to straight cut and was blown away how little shattered. The seeds were practically all black. What does seem strange is how even and quickly it seems to be maturing, it seems like it really is meant for straight cutting. Just not sure we really have the season for it. Not in the bin yet but its looking like some of our best canola.
X2

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
X2

It is definitely more shatter resistant than the 5440 I had seeded beside it. Swathed it at 80-90% color change. Still had to go with the dew to avoid bad shattering on both.

I found it didn't stand as well as the 5440. Not a normal year though. Got burnt with minimal rain in July and almost none in August. And having 75 pairs in it for a couple days at flowering because Fortis forgot to shut a gate didn't help matters either. :mad: Hence the swathing.

Since my trial was buggered up between weather and morons, how are others finding the standability?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Combined mine the other day, had bad hail on it and 5440, across the rd... The 5440 had much more damage, so pods are much stronger, don't think I would worry about swatting it...

It stood well and yielded much better than 5440, but had lots of regrowth after hail, bayer came out to document the mess, it looked like 30 percent reflower... Hammered it with roundup a hr after combing

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
You want to be my agent? ;). Must be better at twisting arms than I.

Still dealing on it. Probably lost a couple bushels and made straight cutting it a no go with trails every which way. At least I didn't want that to be my first field. Just had to set the swather at 4-6" and go.
Hey, one doesn't start low!;)
Sounds like it was more oversight, sloppiness and nuisance factor but still...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
L140P is in the bin!

Very happy overall with first time straight cutting canola. Pretty impressive variety to straight cut. Nothing to compare it to yet.

Very little shatter loss, even when the reel was needed on a couple of low areas where crop was lodged.
Nice uniform crop.
Average moisture about 8.5 %
Greens 1% or less.
About 1% dockage -- typical for the 480 Lexion.
Ran the cylinder as high as 600 and as low as 430 depending on how dry it was.

Found that you can straight combine canola after midnight. Takes a lot of power though.:D
Fuel usage about 50% more overall! This normal?

Had some trouble in the throat area of the adapter on the 36' 962 Macdon draper header in the middle of the afternoon when it was dry out. Fed better from 11am - 2pm and then after supper again. Newer headers probably be a lot better.

Will I do it again? Don't see why not!

One more thing. Make sure sprayer guy doing fungicide travels opposite direction of what you plan to combine. East/West worked best for straight combining.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
140P was ok here, 5440 still the golden calf. L261 was pretty good too, but harvested a bit tougher than 5440 standing. I used a 635F with air reel to take mine off and was very happy with it's performance

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You straight cut both the L140P and the 5440 nwsaskfarmer?
That's 2 votes for the 5440 over the L140P.
I haven't done any other canola to compare with the L140P yet. Was happy with the yield, although no bumper crop.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
L140P won one of my trials, the other is still in the field. 5 bushel spread in yield with 5440 the lowest, then L261, then L252 and L140P winning. I only delayed swathing on it by about a week and I could have left it longer. There is a minimum price on this variety so Bayer and the retailer will take a chunk of your profit here.:( But I will grow some again.;)

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Our 140p sucked here. It did very well on the highest ground but did not handle the excess moisture too well on the low. I'm not sold on it at all. L130 was still the best here. 5440 right behind. 160s looked really good and handle the excess moisture very well but was absolutely loaded with sclerotinia. Add that the fact that we swathed it a week to early because of the -3 frost, that never happened, and it didn't yield up to our expectations either. Will try it again and will spray it for sclerotia next time. 5440 still leaves the best swath and that's worth something to me as well. Our canola took forever this year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.