The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 82 l2 corn plus, this is my second season of ownership. last year the feeder beater slip clutch kept slipping so i replaced it and it worked great the rest of the year. just started using it this year and it slips way to easy. i am only running a 4 row head, 1st gear and i can't run the hydro wide open (only 3mph). i took off the drive chain and the feeder turns smooth. i played with the variable feed speed with no difference. clutch uses 4 springs, manual says to only use 4 but there is room for 8. Any ideas or should i get another clutch

·
Registered
549 Posts
First off, use all eight. Second, make sure the chatter clutch is set/shimmed as the manual says. Do these two things and it ought to run, if still slipping, look at your cylinder bars for excessive wear, worn ones don't help pull stuff through.

·
Registered
174 Posts
First off, use all eight. Second, make sure the chatter clutch is set/shimmed as the manual says. Do these two things and it ought to run, if still slipping, look at your cylinder bars for excessive wear, worn ones don't help pull stuff through.

Also, don't over grease the clutch or it will lose the natural friction of the jaws and they will slip too easily.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Makes me remember a buddy of mine. Had a CII that he cut many, many acres of soy's with. When he got into a field with lots of foxtail or nutsedge he'd pull out his "special" feeder beater chatter clutch, which amounted to the two halves of the chatter clutch welded together. Sometimes you do what you have to do to get the job done, and pray you don't pick up any stones!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
when it slips, it wears away the face of the lock collar on the bearing. replace the lock collar or shim it up to compensate.

Like said above, dont over grease.

good luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
It MUST be set up like the book says(the lock collar thingy)and then add the extra springs.Don't shim em or anything and just for grins you can assemble without springs to see that jaws will pass over each other(good idea).Remove all grease from jaws and assemble with just a smear of grease on shaft.That stays in one spot unless chattering so it don't need much for lube. My F2 was playing that same game when I got it.One little wad of beans and RAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT!!! Digging that crap out was no fun!My lock collar was worn and clutch was not setup right.Tbran told me about following book instructions to the letter.Have not had one problem with it since.I did fill it with springs but it has clearance to slip if needed.I never grease it either.Been 7-8yrs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.