The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I just installed a rebuilt bosch 100A injection pump on my L3 with the 670t engine. I took the old one out and put the new one in exactly the same way, all marks lined up exact. It takes ether to get it started, but it starts. And after it starts I can shut it off and it will start up without ether just fine. The other think it does is smoke really bad which it did not do before I installed this pump. I mean real bad. white smoke, smells like unburned diesel fuel. Any expert advice would be appreciated.
I think its probably timing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm no expert but is there a chance that you are out a half a turn on the timing I have heard of some old IH running even if they were out of time on the pump

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And that might be what it is. I had somebody else say the same thing. Thanks for the reply. When you say being out a half turn, what exactly does that mean? I'v heard I'm close on the timing since it does start. I just don't know which way to move the timing gear. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put it on the exact same way it came off. I aligned the pointer and timing mark on the pump up and the engine read 35 degrees BTDC. What your thoughts?

·
Registered
168 Posts
If I remember correctly it should be around 19 degrees BTDC. You may not be off 180 just advanced way to far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I kind of thought 35 deg was too much. I could tell that somebody had been in there before adjusting the timing, maybe due to the old pump wearing out, I dont know just a thought. wish I had a service manual. If I might just try setting it around 19 deg this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
l3ryan, your right about it being set at 19 degrees. I talked to a guy that deals with allis chalmers a lot and he looked in the service manual and that's what it showed. I set the timing to 19 degrees and it still did not make a difference. still smokes a lot. Do you guys think I need to get new injectors since I put a new pump in? I'm alomost thinking with the new pump its pumping a lot of fuel past the old injectors and making the fuel air mixture to rich causing it to smoke and start hard. Any thoughts..

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Ambac pump turns same speed as the crank. The timing marks will line up on every revolution and the pump injects on no.1 every other revolution. The gear reduction is done inside the pump instead of the front timing gears like most pumps. If the timing is off one complete turn I would not have thought it would even start but if others say it will then it might. You can always try take the pump gear off and turning the pump one complete turn and try that. Another option would be pull valve cover and make sure no.1 is on compression stroke and no.6 will have exhaust valve closing and the intake opening. Then remove side cover on pump and look for a mark in window. It doesn't need to line up with anything it just tells you pump is set to no 1. If engine is set to fire on 1 and pump is not then remove pump gear and rotate pump one full turn till mark shows then use timing pointer on front to time it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys were right, I was out 180 degrees. I took the timing gear off and turned the pump 360 degrees, put the gear back on at 19 deg and it fired up the first crank. I want to Thank everyone for their post's. I'v been working on trying to figure out why it always takes ether to get this combine started, I replaced the pump and it still took ether and smoked really bad. Now it start's very good and sounds even better. Can't wait for harvest this year.. Again Thanks everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts