The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the ol' girl ready to work, but having trouble adjusting my cylinder speed. Cleaned and oiled the chain, greased the top and bottom, and it's still a pain in the @$$ to try and turn the little cab dial. Am I missing something? Advice anyone? Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
Does it turn at all? The handle on my L would not turn a couple of years ago. Took the hub cap off at the bottom sprocket. There is a bolt and washer holding the sprocket in place. I had turned the handle too far one way and the sprocket was tight against the bolt. Loosened the bolt off a little then was able to turn the sprocket back again, then re tightened the bolt.
Must be combine prep season, just spent 2 days working on my L. Pulled everything off of the main shaft that the electric clutches are on. Main shaft bearings were going. Change all bearings and replaced header drive clutch that burned out this spring finishing corn. Can't believe how quiet it ran today, noisy bearings sneaks up on a person.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's all the way slow at the moment. It'll turn a few turns faster but that's it. Hmm, I'll check out the bolt you mention tomorrow. Are there also bearings in there too somewhere that a fella should be changing?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had trouble like that on my M-2. It could be a bear to turn and sometimes the chain would come off. I found the problem to be a worn out sprocket on the sheave end of the chain. Over (a long) time the teeth get worn down and cause the chain to bind up when you crank it. Just something to check. Good luck.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Is the combine running and the separation clutch engaged? If not the handle will only turn a little. It needs to be running to push the two halves of the pulley together as it squeezes the belt to the out side edge of the pulley.
Checked my parts book. There are 3 bearings for the pulleys. They are not involved in adjusting the speed. They are one of the few bearings I have not had to change yet.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If it's still hard or impossible to turn with the separator running I suspect the problem is in the variable speed assembly on the clutch end . There are ramps and a big spring in there and if that assembly gets dirty or dry it may seize up. If run that way the belt will tighten more with every slug that hits the cylinder until something breaks... usually the end of the mainshaft. don't run it in that condition, it will prove VERY costly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Same issue here

I have had the same problem. It would come and go for no apparent reason. During wheat, I had to put new bearings in the sheave and now it turns easier than ever. Not sure if it was the result of the new bearings or adjustment of the bolt under the dust cap. It does have shims.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Going to check that sprocket out and see what sort of shape it's in. I'll grease the drive sheave on the mainshaft too, I forgot about that one when I had the grease gun out. Aaannnndddd I might as well have a peek at that bearing and see if needs changing while I'm in there

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
there should be two grease fittings on the mainshaft pulley. one attached to the brushholder, and one on the inner sheave, on the outer edge of the sheave.

like said above, lack of lube here will cause binding and it wont want to adjust.

a little bit of neglect here can really mess stuff up, we have seen machines with the pivot shaft bent, many have had the idler pulley and bracket completely ripped off the side of the machine (usually cracking and bowing the machine sidewall out) and mainshaft breakage can occur.

the manual recommends a weekly greasing, involving running it through its entire speed range. we grease it daily and dont play with the speed. I imagine we are doing it wrong, but no binding or breakage anywhere yet, so I imagine our way is better than nothing.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yikes, doesn't sound like something a fella really wants to get into. a weekly greasing with a run through the entire speed range sounds like the way to go but I imagine your way is probably suffice. cloudy cold and raining out today, so looks like tomorrow will be when ill get a chance to go do some inspecting.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it! Cleaned chain and sprockets, adjusted the bolt as mentioned above, gave it a good shot of grease on both sides and away we go. Nice and smooth now! Appreciate the help everyone!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
good deal!

Happy Harvest with the Silver Saver!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts