The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever put a macdon draper on an L3? Neighbour has a 25ft one that's awful nice. Think this will be too much weight for it? Are there any adapters available anywhere to mate the two? Any and all info is appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only company I know of that made one for the L series was honeybee and they are very hard to find. As for the weight it, I use a jd 25ft flex head and it picks it up with no problem.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well as long as no body thinks the weight will be an issue, I should be able to rig some sort of adapter up will and old rigid head I have, provided I don't need a bunch of hydraulic lines

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing what model macdon I made a mount for a JD925flex head for mine and it works great the back end is a little light down hill but it seems lighter than the 830 corn head for it I mounted a second fuel tank to help keep back end on the ground

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So had a look at the macdon today and it is a 30ft 960, not a 25 ft as I had though....which has me thinking about weight again. Looks like a can run everything off of its self container pump though, so no need for more hyd lines. Considering this mainly for small grains and possible soybeans. What do you all think? Is 30ft too much for an L3?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It all depends on the yield. in less than 50 bu/ acre, I would say 30ft would be just fine.

50-100 bu. 25 ft would be the better choice, and in 100+, 21 ft is what I would think would work best. we run 16, 18, and 20 ft direct cut auger heads on our small engine L2s doing 100-150 bushel/ acre barley and 100+ bu. wheat here in Idaho. big engine with a draper could handle more width.

Weight shouldnt be an issue. they made 8R30 cornheaders for these, and IIRC they weighed 4500-5000 lbs or so.

for counterweight, you can put the custom harvester special dual fuel tank kit on, and have a shutoff on the back tank, and keep it pretty full. dont be like JD and pile a bunch of useless cast iron on. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fall Wheat yields get up to around 2ts per on an excellent year but beans and barleyis tough to get over a ton per acre so I ought to be alright on that front. Extra fuel tank would be nice, have to look into that. I guess it'll be just cutting up my parts rigid head to make the adapter plate I need that will take the most work. And also the price of the head itself which I still haven't gotten.....what do these usually go for? This one is in excellent shape, NO rust anywhere

1 - 8 of 8 Posts