The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my usually trouble free machine is acting up on me:
Had it running Sunday when I put my filler bars in-no problem.
Had it running yesterday for an hour while I disengaged my chopper-no problem.
Problem started when I was driving it down the road yesterday after moving the chopper, noticed fuel restrict light was on intermittently. Combine died on the road about 2km from home. Reprinted it until I could hear fuel squirting back into the tank via the return. Got it home and immediately put diesel conditioner in, hadn't had any til now, and left it run for over an hour. Fuel restrict light was still intermittent and would cough and sputter every now and then.
Replaced both filters this morning and started it and fuel restrict is still on. Anybody got any ideas? Refilled both filters with conditioned fuel and it ran fine for 250 acres of beans this fall. Any idea are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I thought the new filters fixed it, ran for over two hours while it warmed up and I got my header on...until I got to the field. On my second pass back down the field light came on again and it died shortly after. Tried to reprime to get home and there was suction against the plunger. Opened the water separator valve and it took in a big gulp of air before a little bit of fuel came out and the line from the tank is barely a trickle.

So as advised above I checked in the tank and it appears my primary screen is missing. Had the tank off in the fall to fix a leak and apparently it fell out someplace between the combine and the welding shop. Guess I'll have to blow the line back out before I put a new screen in. Hopefully I've got to the bottom of this

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I know this **** all too well!

There is a screen in the top of the water separator. Check it as its often clogged, also with the bowl off take an air hose and blow air into your fuel tank through the pin hole in the cap to make sure the line is clear and the fuel is running out of the water separator quickly!

Be warned that the pumps on these engines don't like to be starved of fuel and will wear quickly!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it. Blew the line from water seperator backwards into the tank and got the fuel flowing good. Put on a new screen in the tank, and haven't had a problem since.

Was told that the fuel pumps don't like to be run dry....hopefully I didn't damage mine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.