The Combine Forum banner

L3 Repower

11K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  pegleg pete 
#1 ·
The motor recently burnt in our 87 L3. Was considering a repower. Has anyone done this and what did you use?

#3 ·
We repowered a 82 L-2 with an engine from a N-5. Basically the same engine with more power and it works great. Have to raise the hood a few inches and cut a hole in it to accomadate the exhaust stack. Rebearinged the bottom end before installing. Should be available at a reasonable price from salvage yards. Enjoy the extra power cutting wheat.

#6 ·
If ya need some larger injectors for that 5.9 i have a complete set that im not going to use. Run a compound turbo setup, alongside a water injection system that would be a wheat eating machine. Ive always wanted to re-power our L3, but sold it before it was feesable. 5.9 is the best engine in my opinion for a swap. My only concern would be possible ballast issues due to the lighter weight.

#12 ·
L3 repower

If ya need some larger injectors for that 5.9 i have a complete set that im not going to use. Run a compound turbo setup, alongside a water injection system that would be a wheat eating machine. Ive always wanted to re-power our L3, but sold it before it was feesable. 5.9 is the best engine in my opinion for a swap. My only concern would be possible ballast issues due to the lighter weight.
hay now we r talkin !think the belts would hold back couple hunderd ponys!?anybody no of any8.3 in the L s . man that would be one mean L3 . anyway some of my thinking was to set engine on rubber mounts to reduce viberations , also design a independant hyd system for steering so will steer more like a john deere tractor . thinking mabe run cummins at 2200 rpms insted of 2650 . would need biger drive pully to keep up combine speed . any input is welcome!

#8 ·
A few years back our L3 426 called it quits... After calling around I was told that the 5.9 would not last. I believe they wanted to sell a 8.3 Cummins conversion but we found a L2 with an overhauled engine for parts! They start hard unless plugged in during the winter months but I never thought fuel consumption was that bad

#9 ·
8.3 is way over kill for a L3. 5.9 not last? That is one of the best engines ever built in its segment. Our neighbour has a Case 5240 which has that engine, and over 15,000 hrs on it, never touched the engine. How about all of them sitting on the rusty frames of what used to be a dodge truck. I recal reading about guys pumping over 1000HP on a stock block on pulling trucks. 5.9 is a stout engine, and even if you ever had a problem, there are aftermarket parts everywhere to address nearly any issue. Only downside is that they are pricy to buy IMO.

Engine sizes (roughly):

L2 small engine 649I or T - 301 cu inch
L2 big engine & L3 engine 670 - 426 cu inch
5.9 cummins - 360 cu inch
8.3 cummins - 506 cu inch

#10 ·
I agree that the 8.3 seems way to big. 1000HP ~ wonder how long they can pull that? That is the problem with vehicle horsepower ratings - not based on day long pulling values.

The 426 is a well engineered engine. Just pushed to the limit in some machines (2500 RPM all day with a good load would make me tired too!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.