The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the pump and injectors redone on my L3, and after getting it running again high idle rpms are above specs. Supposed to be 2470-2570. I'm running 2600-2606 by my laser tach. Anybody think there's any cause for concern here? I had them set it for 170 hp. Also, the digital tach shows 2800. Sensor is adjusted and tests ok. Also reads high on cyl rpms. Nothing but ground speed can be adjusted. Maybe send it to someplace like Ag Express for repair? All help appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I’m sure you can set this yourself. The arm that the throttle cable attaches to will have a stop screw with a locknut to limit the rotation of that arm to maximum RPM. I would turn it down a lot to prevent orange shrapnel from blowing holes in the hopper. I have my rancher’s special N7 turned down to 2165 no load and everything can still be set just fine. I don’t think you need to go that low on the two smaller engine series.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is an ambac pump with no linkage adjustments. High and low idle are both set with screw stops on the lower rear of the governor housing. I didn't know if the 30-35 rpm over the 2570 max was enough to worry about. The screw is safety wired and is a b-----to get at. I'm old and it's hard to get down there lol. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I found this post from another source that explains how two different pumps were used on L3’s. And the probable outcome at silly RPM’s.

03F084D8-437F-41DF-A70E-516C887696FA.png

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, Haystack, I don't need anything like that happening. Talked to the folks who did my pump and they said I could cut the seal and slow it down without voiding the warranty. Slowed it down to 2520 (middle of range) and called it good. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts