The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with any advice on extending the unload auger. Factory length not long enough to load grain buggy. How much longer can you safely extend it without issues. How do you do it (at the end or in the middle). Any way to compensate/balance the extra weight on extending and retraction (especially if it were full). Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Try a piece of pipe 2" to 2 1/2" long inside of the swing cylinder first to see if you get enough unloader height. Done it to dozens of combines over the years.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm embarrassed to say I don't understand. Mind explaining in more detail to this poor soul.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm missing something, likely brains, but I still don't understand.

To extend the unload auger it pivots on the chain driven rotator. It has to be completely rotated so the knuckle mechanism is properly operable. How by limiting the cylinder stroke do I get more height when its extended properly. I know it goes higher and then comes down into operating position. If I stopped it at the higher position wouldn't the auger drive mechanism bind.

·
Registered
407 Posts
No, not with the length of cylinder stop I've suggested. Try this. Swing your unloader tube all the way out. Now, with help from a friend, swing it back "in" 2 1/2" by looking at the chrome cylinder rod. Measure your unloader spout height and see if it is what you want. I always used a simple black pipe coupler (smooth on the outside and threaded inside to accept a pipe into each end) that would just drop into the cylinder barrel for diameter. I think it was a 2" pipe coupler/coupling). I always did this to every new "N" series when pre-delivered to gain unloader height for tall wagons.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotcha. Now I understand. Soon as the 4 ft of snow against shed door is gone and I can get it out will try it. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
232 Posts
my f2 has a mechanical stop on the swivel. Just added a new one a little farther up and gained about 6in height. u-joint doesn't seem to mind.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The quickest and easiest way to extend the auger is to add onto the end of the auger with the rubber unload extension like Cat(Claas) combine's have. You just have to change the support bracket and bolt the rubber boot to the end of the tube. It'll depend on what size of tire's you have on your combine. I have 30.5 x 32 and it gives me about 2 foot more reach.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
get a tube and screw for an N6/7 if all else fails, its the same system.

we have seen mechanical stops installed, usually a 2x2 chunk of box beam weled onto the flat iron face so the stop lug contacts it before the ram strokes out.

as far as carrying the weight, you may need to add a brace. we have one that the PO fabbed an additional brace to help carry the weight.

for folding back with grain, you will have to put extra bracing and rubber bumpers to try to dampen the shock load on the rear ladder deck area. maybe even a hyd. accumulator for the hydraulic swing circuit? IDK, you will have to get creative.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Strengthen the ladder deck with a piece of 2" angle iron a couple feet long on the outside edge of the deck. Then, add a piece of 1" x 1" thick wall square tubing underneath the 2" angle iron and down to the very rear corner of the lower main frame. It will be at an angle to the deck and will keep the deck straight when the unloader "bangs" back into the saddle.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The quickest and easiest way to extend the auger is to add onto the end of the auger with the rubber unload extension like Cat(Claas) combine's have. You just have to change the support bracket and bolt the rubber boot to the end of the tube. It'll depend on what size of tire's you have on your combine. I have 30.5 x 32 and it gives me about 2 foot more reach.
Could you by any chance get a picture of this? I need to get a couple more feet on a 52.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts