The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grew invigor L340PC, LR344PC and L258HPC canola this yesr. All of the canola is poorer than normal, but wow is the L340PC ever poor. It really, really does not like the stress from drought and heat. Other 2 varieties are very similar to each other and neighbors L233P.

Anyone else disappointed in expensive “300” series canola?

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
We have liberty Link pioneer right beside our 233 and the Pioneer looks a lot better. I will be curious to see if there is any yield difference.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
We have liberty Link pioneer right beside our 233 and the Pioneer looks a lot better. I will be curious to see if there is any yield difference.
Some are saying they are impressed with the Pioneer varieties. I didn’t seed any canola this yr, happy I didn’t considering the yr it’s been.
Some pretty ugly stuff out there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have L340pc, L345pc, and P505MSL all in the same quarter, no rain for 4 weeks in July, so we will see which one holds up best here.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I wouldnt stray away too much what works best. I still grow L252 invigor and it look like its going for a 6 th year in a row of 50 bushels an acre.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
We have some variety trials going on but I'm not sure how relevant they will be this year with the drought and heat. Will probably start swathing some of the plots towards the end of next week. For us L252 was a dog, L130 yielded more than 5% better. We have switched to all pod shatter now, makes swathing a breeze now, although this year with very short canola it may be a challenge to cut and anchor it to the stubble. Good luck all.
Font Material property Parallel Pattern Number

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have an invigor trial led by nutrien on our farm this yr with 2 brown bag experimentals, 660 podshatter, 680 and 681 and i snuck in with a few monosem planter swipes beside the trial with 681... at a half rate of seed but wider ( 15 inch vs 12 inch spacing)
All seeded same day...
Should be interesting!
But seriously, from here on out are we buying our canolas based on which did best in this drought year? I think after our last 2 yrs of 20 + inches of moisture we were buying based on which variety had the most Rice DNA bred into it..
Ughhh
Another year of farming for insurance money!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Goalie guy you are spot on but I am on the other end of the spectrum. The last 6 years have been on the drier side in the red river valley except in 2019 when i had a 8 inch rain in a span of 3 days on a 2 mile radius , but other than that canola has thrived with somewhat normal prairie weather. In the 90s and early 2000s I was fighting with high water and 09 was the 100 year flood just like 97 was . I had at least a canoe paddle deep of water on my land and maybe 45 feet on my river lots. I prefer this dryness over high moisture. Canola during the early 2000s on my farm was termed $hitola which was a semi dwarf low yielding canola! ffffffffking Ughhh !

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
We have some PV681 in with our 340 this year. 340 looks a bit better but will see how it yields. I know the 681 didn’t like frost on June 21. all The leaves turned yellow Where the 340 only had slight yellow on a few leaves.

we also have some 505 and 506 in with 255. They look similar. Right now.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Our drought is not quite as extreme as most areas. Record dry, and record hot, but when too cold and wet is normal, this isn't all bad.
Although we are now over 5 weeks without measurable precipitation, along with extreme heat, plus we enjoyed the high 30's in June too.
L234 looks very good, and I planted it on very challenging ground, direct sod seeded, into poor conditions and lighter soils devoid of fertility. Most of it looks very good. Tall, thick, tangled, holding its leaves, still some flowers. I wasn't at all happy with it last year, it really didn't handle the constant rain all May, June and July, compared to older Invigor's. But I had no side by side comparison, so it could have been the year. It ranged from low single digits to over 100, so it had potential, but wasn't willing to bet the farm on it this year, so tried a few other varieties.
L241 looks the best of everything. Still some flowering. Have it on some lighter ground, and it hasn't shown any stress. Also sod seeded some into very rich heavy soil, also looks very good, but shut down sooner, the alfalfa must have used too much moisture earlier in the spring. On heavy stubble ground it is great. Direct seeded into nasty, rough, old pastures, it took a while, but really thrived in tough conditions.
P501 seeded right side by side with the L241, took almost a week longer to flower then started shutting down almost the same time. Both look comparable now, but I don't consider that a good sign. Very tall. Might be too long for our short season regardless.

Canterra 2600, I was pleased with it last year in really bad conditions, so tried a bunch again. Sod seeded into really good pasture, slow to come, grew really tall and thin. Doesn't compare to the L241 almost across the fence. I nearly always use Invigors for sod seeding, they just seem to handle the stress and poor conditions so much better, this year was no exception. Some cows got into this piece (only 12 acres fortunately) just before full flower, and couldn't see them at all, so it is tall. Won't be a great yield comparison now with the damage. Into pre worked sod and virgin fresh cleared land it looks very good. On stubble it looks as every bit as good as the Invigors.

Pioneer's new 44H44 supposed to be the short season solution for us. I won't write it off after such an anomalous year, when we've had more heat units already than we would get in an entire year normally, but I'm not impressed.
Edit on the 44H44, in spite of the short flowering period, it seems to have put on comparable pods, and is advancing quickly now as it comes out of flower. Looks better than expected up close.
Was slow to emerge, slow to flower, flea beetles really went after it compared to the Canterra right beside, both with Lumiderm. Maybe smaller seed size took longer to emerge and the treatment had lost some effect?
Didn't flower any longer than the Canterra even though it started much later. Could be from the weather though. Doesn't look nearly as dense or tall as the 2600.
On a cold short year, it might be the answer.

Lots of blank pods from the early heat, but nothing specific to any one variety. The RRs seemed to burn off their big bottom leaves and lose the dark green color much sooner than the LL's in comparable conditions.

I choose varieties based on their ability to withstand excess water and not have high green seeds when frozen. Short season is a bonus if possible. So nothing about this year is indicative of what I should do next year.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Toured a plot at Rose Valley the other day. L340 absolutely sucked. I don't need a combine to tell me it suffered the most. There is no pods compared to the Dekalb beside it. L 233P looked sick too. Brevant 3010 and 2 experimentals brevant had looked far better. L345 was in the middle between worst and best. 340 had maybe a 30 attempted pods on the main stem with half with seed. Many were so short and had a couple seeds. Brevant exp 2 had 58 pods on the main stem with likely 45 with pods filled and the rest aborted so no comparison what so ever. Winfield CP21L3C was impressive as well. It was in a slightly lower area but you couldn't see the ground as it was podded and branched heavy. All varieties got 4 1/2" of rain all yr with the last month being without anymore than a 1/10. It was a drastic difference to all who were at the plot between the so called high yielders fro LL and the ones from Brevant and Dekalb and Winfield. Just what I saw with many others. The data will tell all eventually

·
Registered
753 Posts
wouldnt stray away too much what works best. I still grow L252 invigor and it look like its going for a 6 th year in a row of 50 bushels an acre.
Wouldnt you know it l252 yielded over fifty and l345pc went 43. Side by side half sections so pretty good average between the two varieties. Two years in row l345pc came in second. To its defense l345pc is a shorter season but 5 days maturity should not make that big of a difference.
I booked all l252 for 22 again .

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
50 bus/ac wow. Take 5 acres here to equal your 1 acre. Canola running 17% of average here around Calgary

·
Registered
71 Posts
did some L340 yesterday in swaths and some straight cutting. the swaths were a bigger kernels then the straight cut stuff
has anybody seen this before. swathed the swaths a few days before we sprayed the rest of the field with a plane

·
Registered
753 Posts
the swaths were a bigger kernels then the straight cut stuff
That is really interesting daniel. Depending on the health of the canola plant, after you swath the canola there is still life left in the plants to fill pods. Also if you swath at night or your conditions are damp or rainy the canola will not cure as quickly as if it is 30 c and windy so the seeds may not shrink up as much . Once you spray , it game over I believe for seed growth especially if it is a desiccant.

·
Super Moderator
4,263 Posts
50 bus/ac wow. Take 5 acres here to equal your 1 acre. Canola running 17% of average here around Calgary
Overall, you sure?

When overall rainfall is high spotty localized showers make little or no difference, when overall rainfall is low spotty localized showers make a HUGE difference.

As an example I saw a 6 to 1 ratio in field canola yield range this year, last year just 2 to 1.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is really interesting daniel. Depending on the health of the canola plant, after you swath the canola there is still life left in the plants to fill pods. Also if you swath at night or your conditions are damp or rainy the canola will not cure as quickly as if it is 30 c and windy so the seeds may not shrink up as much . Once you spray , it game over I believe for seed growth especially if it is a desiccant.
we always swath pod shatter canola when its 75% color change and at night or when it rains, but the sprayed stuff would have been at least that too

1 - 20 of 26 Posts