The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very nice pictures. Do you ever have any problems finding where the harvested crop ends and where the unharvested crop begins using a stripper head?

·
Registered
664 Posts
is the dual carts necessary? and i take it that you use smaller carts so u can drag them through some rough mud.

Matt

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:Very nice pictures. Do you ever have any problems finding where the harvested crop ends and where the unharvested crop begins using a stripper head?

No, it is quite easy to find where the unharvested crop is at. Especially since most of the time the straw is green underneath the grain.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:is the dual carts necessary? and i take it that you use smaller carts so u can drag them through some rough mud.

Matt

Some people use bigger J and M and Frontier carts in rice. I guess my cousin feels theres no need to replace these yet since they still work for them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:Nice Pictures, How does the sts do in the rice?

It does decently in rice. Works real well with the stripper.

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
dphinton2003
Fill me in please. If you weren't using a stripper header wouldn't that be tough stuff to put through?
Thanks.

Green lights.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote: dphinton2003
Fill me in please. If you weren't using a stripper header wouldn't that be tough stuff to put through?
Thanks.

Green lights.

Yes, rice puts more wear and tear on the combine insides with or without the stripper. However, without the straw passing through the combine, there is less wear on the machine, but the rice is still rough on it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:Looks good David. But aren't the 4wd's little big for the 500 bushel carts?

The 4wds are nicer for running these carts because of visibility, comfort, and manuverability. Plus the fact that the only other tractors on his farm wouldn't be able to handle these carts in the mud.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where are these pics taken, which mill is this crop going to, and is that an Hollier or Quality machine?

We haul rice to Basile, Tri parish in Eunice and occasionally to Rayne, the mill Robert Edmundsen either owns or used to own. Just bought a disk from a guy south of Lake Arthur, toward Bell City a few weeks ago. They cannot seem to fight the salt anymore. Seems like there if you are still farming it is with oil/gas money.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:Where are these pics taken, which mill is this crop going to, and is that an Hollier or Quality machine?

We haul rice to Basile, Tri parish in Eunice and occasionally to Rayne, the mill Robert Edmundsen either owns or used to own. Just bought a disk from a guy south of Lake Arthur, toward Bell City a few weeks ago. They cannot seem to fight the salt anymore. Seems like there if you are still farming it is with oil/gas money.

The pictures were taken in Ville Platte, just off the Grand Prarie road. If this year is like any other the crop is probably going to Texas.

Yeah I've heard of the salt problem down that way since Rita. Things seem to be back to normal down the way of Abbeville and south of there that was hit badly during the storm.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Those are excellant Pictures. Very good.

But Yes, I was going to comment on the slight overkill of using such big tractors to pull such small Chasers. Wouldnt you get bigger Chasers with Floaters on it to stop them from sinking?

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Anyone for roasted egret with rice--Cajun style?
Just kidding.
I know the white birds are protected.

Dphinton, those really are nice pics and I am also fascinated by the stripper heads, too. I know you've mentioned the rice is still quite abrasive, but not having that straw pass through the combine, is still a break for it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:Those are excellant Pictures. Very good.

But Yes, I was going to comment on the slight overkill of using such big tractors to pull such small Chasers. Wouldnt you get bigger Chasers with Floaters on it to stop them from sinking?

Thats just the way things are around here. Almost all farms run smaller carts. My best guess is just that bigger carts are not in the budget for most farmers here. I have often wonder myself why we don't run 750 bu carts. We can still get two hoppers full into these carts, and three if we push it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts