The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not, wheat is comming out of the fields here in Louisiana. I had a break from finals this week so I went take a peek. These are pictures from my cousin\'s farm in Ville Platte, LA.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a weed that is native to this area. The crop is pretty decent. There is one bad stand by my old house. To many low spots in the field.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My only guess is that the stripper leaves too much straw behind to have to plow up. He will be double cropping with soybeans as soon as it stops raining here. It started raining as I was taking the last pictures.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He has no animals or bailers. In the past he has allowed custom bailers to come and bail some straw on his land, but I don't think time will permit. There is actually not that big of a window to get the soybeans in after the wheat is cut. If soys are planted too late around here you run the risk of cutting during late Novemeber, and around here the beans might end up underwater if that happens.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We try to burn it off usually. However, we have drilled into the old stubble as is.

That "green" is a weed called horseweed/marestail. It's becoming a problem in no-till fields around here. It is roundup resistant in many places.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice pics! I like the header but what is that green junk hooked to it. Really makes the header look bad. Just kidding around!

Have a safe harvest. We are still a month away. JUst starting to flower.

·
Registered
103 Posts
He will probably just no-til the beans. The wheat stubble acts as a moisture insulator holding the moisture in the ground. We are going to start pickin wheat the first of june and will have a lot of straw tooo but it is actually a good thing

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually he's probably going to run the disk and then the bedleveler followed by the drill. No-till isn't all that popular around here. I've seen it tried with rice a few times with very poor results. Never seen it done with soys around here.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forgot to ask him what the yields were. There were some holes in the wheat though where there were low spots. The field by my old house looked really bad, holes everwhere.

·
Registered
222 Posts
someone correct me if i'm wrong but the green stuff you see is probably clover that was over seeded in the spring we do the same around here

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's amazing how big this country is. We just finished putting our wheat in the ground around here. There is still snow on some of the north facing slopes. Nice pics., by the way it is neat to see whats going on, on the other side of the country.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts