The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thrashing canola yesterday and my cat 480 was roaring like a lion for the first half of the day doing a steady 4.5 - 4.8 mph at 80 percent engine load. As the day progressed and the canola dried down the cat was dragging its a$$ and engine load hit a steady 100 percent. Next came engine overload warning !!! And she died !! After idling for a minute and back to full rpm she could only make an embarrassing 2 1/2 mph or the engine would die. After being passed several times by a case 1680 driven by my 85 year old father I changed the fuel filters for a second time this season. Still no better after the the filter change. When the engine dies down it puts out white smoke. This I believe to be air in the system. Has anyone had a similar issue or know where to look for the problem. I'm thinking priming pump letting in air. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I would second that, a possibility of coolant entering the combustion chamber and as I am not familiar with the engine fuel system aspect I just know that its possible to get fluids flowing into places you never thought possible if for instance the injector cups o rings blew out and injector o rings together. Check for any contamination of fuel or coolant in the crankcase, oil or diesel into the rad, or coolant coming around through the fuel return into the fuel tank. You could also have a cracked head or a blown head gasket.

There is a good chance that your symptom with that engine will = a top of the list XXX problem, another words someone else on here or calling the dealership network and they say oh oh ... chances are its such and such if you lost power and are now blowing white smoke.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
White smoke is ussally coolant leaking in, maybe blew a head gasket or cracked head, watch coolant level closely for pressurization or level dropping but you should still run decent power...

Might some engine shopping real soon

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dumb question...

Has engine air filter been serviced? A lot of what is being described could also be a lack of engine air, and Claas machines are noted for being susceptible to dirty air filters, especially in Canola...

Just hanging that out there. I've been told to start with the easy and cheap solutions first, then work up in complexity and expense. I need to take that advice more often...

Luke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.