The Combine Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
point taken rod was talking direct costs and im actutely aware of other costs, but theres a fine line between harvestor ownership and contract harvesting not much in it, if youve got plenty of contractors available its the way to go.

land in nsw really does flucuate with seasons and fortunes wereas in sa its upwardly stable ridiculously so at times in the mid north guys pay thousands per acre for 3.5 t/ha country id rather my 400 to 500 2t/ha stuff, but its a world wide phenomina check out some of the corn country in the usa.

the last sale here as mentioned was $500 per acre bare land across the road from me. The price was known to all and came to auction no bid no offer, then leasing was suggested for $32 per acre again no takers, deal was done behind closed doors presumably for $500 as seller would not take any less.

last block i bought was for $150 per acre in 1996 and everyone thought i was out of my mind,but i could make the numbers work at that.

grazing country seems to have come off a tad lately as well, one can only wonder what will become of world finacial markets in 2013, i recon the euro mess will only get worse

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
will put another post up about current thoughts on 2012 and what everyone is doing in australia, very thought provoking thread this on madsnake.

ps madsnake had meeting with dodgshunmedlin today in loxton working out 2012

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Small time, I think dodgshunmedlin are worth the cost, we would not of tryed canola little own grow a 1.1t/ha crop in the northen mallee, thats batter than our wheat avarage. Good book there summer spray book.

Madsnake

·
Registered
251 Posts
Land that sells up here is really REDICULOUS. The average parcel of land that comes up for sale in my area is about 50-200ac. Farmers are paying between $13000 up to as much as $20000 per ac, thats right PER ACRE. It`s insane. Mate if i had that sort of money to spend i certainly would not be pouring it into farm land.
This is in NQ

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Land that sells up here is really REDICULOUS. The average parcel of land that comes up for sale in my area is about 50-200ac. Farmers are paying between $13000 up to as much as $20000 per ac, thats right PER ACRE. It`s insane. Mate if i had that sort of money to spend i certainly would not be pouring it into farm land.
This is in NQ
Crazzy mums cousin runs trucks out of Tully using a subdivision to buy depots all over the country. Crazzy.

Madsnake

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
STO - I think you will be proven to be correct on the European f#$% up. The major factor is how much pain is it going to inflict on us. China & India's manufacturing sector relies heavily on exporting their value added products to a veracious world market. I just can't see how we can dodge the s*%! when it flies off the fan blades. I'm pretty sure Julia & Wayne can't talk us out of this one - let alone - fix it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Those higher prices paid in the mid north is very reliable farming land. The guys around Clare etc have massive dollar returns per ha. Some of those average years we are talking about them clearing more than $1200 per ha. Dad always said you can't put a price on reliability.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
STO - I think you will be proven to be correct on the European f#$% up. The major factor is how much pain is it going to inflict on us. China & India's manufacturing sector relies heavily on exporting their value added products to a veracious world market. I just can't see how we can dodge the s*%! when it flies off the fan blades. I'm pretty sure Julia & Wayne can't talk us out of this one - let alone - fix it!
i thiunk the eoro bosses will bumble along in 2012 trying to fix it and suddenly in 2013 reality will hit...**** we cant fix this mess and god knows whatwill happen, i reckon will become harder and harder to borrow money

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
i thiunk the eoro bosses will bumble along in 2012 trying to fix it and suddenly in 2013 reality will hit...**** we cant fix this mess and god knows whatwill happen, i reckon will become harder and harder to borrow money
Here they were talking about sky scrappers and every time there is a boom on them been built the S*** hits the fan, world wide there are heaps on the go and over half are in china. Makes you think.

Were is it going to put the operations that are only just with the banks know?

Madsnake

·
Registered
549 Posts
Land prices here range from from $1,500 to $2,500/acre. The country is 100% arable with only sheds and roads not farmed. The country is reliable and has excellent water holding capacity. It can grow almost any crop, corn, sorghum, cotton, mungbeans, wheat, chickpeas, etc. Yields on sorghum average approx 5t/ha. We are close to Brisbane also so freight costs are approx $22-$25t to port. We also have excellent feed grain markets locally and in Brisbane. \\

We moved from an area approx 200km further west some years ago ($800-$900/acre) yielding 2t/ha wheat and have found we are far better off in this more eastern area regardless of the higher land prices. It is also dead flat with no money required on land conservation, the only costs are what goes into each crop. Direct costs growing sorghum are approx $120/acre and wheat $100/acre.

Leased country in this price range goes for $80-$110/acre.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We farm in two areas, the first being $100-$500 an acre country (Bunjil/Latham). Our main block is all fantastic sandplain and would easily fetch $500 an acre. Our small block is $100 an acre and we would probably accept 90! We've thrown bucketloads of lime, break crops and this year we will hopefully deep rip it, but are losing our patience. Was a good sheep block though.

The other district is between Badgingarra and Dandaragan, and would be between $700 and $2000 an acre country, with the higher stuff only so because it suits hobby blocks. We have a long term lease down there at $53 an acre, and so far it has been worth every cent.

It's hard to say what each block averages long term, as in the last 8 years we've had a couple 0.2 T/ha averages and a couple 3.5 T/ha averages. But I would say the first is 1.8 T/ha country and the last 2.5 T/ha. The first is also 8-10% protein country with the last being 12-15% protein country, bring on CBH's online mixing!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
We farm in two areas, the first being $100-$500 an acre country (Bunjil/Latham). Our main block is all fantastic sandplain and would easily fetch $500 an acre. Our small block is $100 an acre and we would probably accept 90! We've thrown bucketloads of lime, break crops and this year we will hopefully deep rip it, but are losing our patience. Was a good sheep block though.

The other district is between Badgingarra and Dandaragan, and would be between $700 and $2000 an acre country, with the higher stuff only so because it suits hobby blocks. We have a long term lease down there at $53 an acre, and so far it has been worth every cent.

It's hard to say what each block averages long term, as in the last 8 years we've had a couple 0.2 T/ha averages and a couple 3.5 T/ha averages. But I would say the first is 1.8 T/ha country and the last 2.5 T/ha. The first is also 8-10% protein country with the last being 12-15% protein country, bring on CBH's online mixing!
years ago and im talking the 80s it was always in the media WA is just going to be one big salt pan by 2020 and farmers degrading the soil etc etc funny havent heard it mentioned ever anymore so it was either media hype or you guys fixed it up. Have amate at esperance and he never misses out dry sometimes sure but still never misses out

21 - 32 of 32 Posts