The Combine Forum banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Blew me away that they're wanting 10,500/ac. Payments would take up the majority, if not exceed, gross revenue. Where is the logic.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The Huts have free labour, they claim the personnel tax exemption individually, after that the Church claims the income and pays no tax. How can we compete? They are in it for the long haul so it doesn't really matter to them what the cost of land is.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Around Castor a City slicker inherited 3/4 from his Uncle, he wants 1.2 Million for marginal land, 1/2 is split by hwy 12. one 1/4 that is split would have 40 arable acres, the rest is sloughs. A nearby Colony offered 1.1 Million, dumb ass turned them down.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
This land that is forsale in Lacombe county for over $10,000 per acre is it irrigated or in a potatoe or sugar beet area? I was wondering why it is so expensive?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
This land that is forsale in Lacombe county for over $10,000 per acre is it irrigated or in a potatoe or sugar beet area? I was wondering why it is so expensive?
From the Country Guide:
Flevoland has some of the most expensive land in the Netherlands with prices of up to 120,000 euros per hectare (approaching C$75,000 per acre).
Lacombe looks cheap by comparison. Many hard working, ambitious, entrepreneurs, mostly from Europe. Lots of intensive livestock, mainly dairy, seed potatoes and regular potatoes are getting to be a big thing. The gross profit on seed potatoes is quite breath taking. Development potential as with anywhere near the highway 2 corridor. No need for irrigation, almost ever.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Southern parts of Australia ridiculous. I been trying to buy a farm for 4 years, started at 570, they just put price up again to 800k plus thers 50k stamp duty...all getting not worth the effort.

Ant....

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
That’s close to number 2 corridor area. Could be close to the town/city. Anything in that area will be worth a fortune

·
Registered
273 Posts
There also has been a few dairy and chicken producers sell out in the Fraser Valley area in B.C. and buy in the Lacombe Ponoka area. This land price seems cheap to them compared to what they would have to pay to expand there. I might be wrong but I think the owner of this land is also a realtor.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Its about 9 miles east of highway 2. Dairies and "little Holland" are more concentrated on the west side of highway 2 but there are a couple potato fields within 6 miles of Nicks place. Its good ground on highway 12 and isn't as hail prone as some nearby (On top of a long hill seems to stall the storms down below). Prices west of town are higher (125 acres on title, 120 maximum farmable sold for 1.4 million. It wasn't nearly as good as Nicks but between 3 dairies within 2 mile radius).
Hard to do the numbers on that one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From the Country Guide:
Lacombe looks cheap by comparison. Many hard working, ambitious, entrepreneurs, mostly from Europe. Lots of intensive livestock, mainly dairy, seed potatoes and regular potatoes are getting to be a big thing. The gross profit on seed potatoes is quite breath taking. Development potential as with anywhere near the highway 2 corridor. No need for irrigation, almost ever.
With the current price of seed potatoes you could pay off that land in 3 years .

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Maybe I’m full of ****. But are Imputs for spuds around 2500 bucks an acre?

·
Registered
282 Posts
being generous with the 0.5 there merit? haha. At least you make up for it with big fish.

I hadn't thought of potatoes. Some grown around Edmonton. Eaten plenty, don't know much about cash cropping them. I did hear crop was poor this year, so is a shortage of seed potatoes temporarily ballooning profitability?

181 - 199 of 199 Posts