The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how people handle the situation of rent in wet years and unseeded acres especially on a lease that is for seeded acres?

Do you pay nothing as both the landlord and tenant were aware that payment is 0 if unseeded?

Do you pay full rent on the acres you typically would have seeded on the field? Good will gesture as you don't intend to pay nothing.

Do you pay the value of the taxes on the land so the landlord is not at a loss on the land for the year but tenant is not out the entire rent while having no crop off the land?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Depends on area not seeded. If your talking lots of acres then it might be good to talk to the landlord. If you have a good relationship with them can usually work out a fair deal for both. If they are just after $$$ then you either pay full rent or someone else will be renting it the next year. I like the tax idea if your talking 0 seeded acres due to a wet spring. Keeps you in good standing with the landlord. Might be a good time to bring up drainage issues and how to fix if they open to that.

We havnt had bad flooding or wet springs like SK and MB, I usually pay on typical acres seeded/unseeded. Most I have ever had on one 1/4 was 15 due to some drainage issues. The landlord ended up paying to have the issues fixed and all is good.

·
Registered
145 Posts
in my opinion land lords want more for the rent if they go crop share but they should also take more of the risk if the land isn't seeded. It is something that should been dealt with before you started the rental agreement though

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I agree with Ed on this. Carry insurance for unseeded. In many cases your landlord lives off the rent of the land. I have heard of some guys refusing to pay rent cause they didn't seed. Then collected the insurNce money. That's a good way to lose rented land for sure I pay rent on a per quarter basis. No questions about how many acres my tally read over there tally when they farmed

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. Good to see the integrity that farmers still have.

Next question is how is a guy supposed to be able to get ahead farming with a father whose attitude leads to having to create this post in the first place?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Good to see the integrity that farmers still have.

Next question is how is a guy supposed to be able to get ahead farming with a father whose attitude leads to having to create this post in the first place?
The answer to this question isn't short, and never easy.

I was in a similar situation, needless to say, I don't farm with my father.

If an opportunity exists to do things on your own, do it.

Also makes a difference at what age you are at, what other siblings are involved/and not involved. No quick easy answer. But my dad and I get along a bunch better now than we did 20 years ago, and I still don't farm with him or my brothers.

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
Crop insurance I find is a joke when it comes to flooded acres. They do everything possible to not pay a cent. If it was flooded last year they will not pay. They take of 7 or so flooded acres per quarter, take off more for seeding intensity, etc etc. The program would work great if you had everything seeded one year followed by everything flooded the next. Again that is not the norm. I think land that is prone to flooding should be rented for so much per seeded acre based on a certain cut off date.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Would this work? give the landlord 6 bushels per acre of what ever crop you seed. Your sprayer will be the most accurate gps you can use. Discuss with landlord before you rent so you both know if years are good, he will make lots, if not seeded, he gets less. Just an idea.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have had rental agreements based on seeded acres and still do. Sprayer GPS works if you only spray the crop that is there. We hang the sprayer boom into unseeded areas, sloughs and drowned out areas as well. This gives a higher acreage count than is actually seeded or remaining. This year we seeded 144 acres of canola and harvested 122. If a formula could be agreed upon for harvested acres, this would help share the risk even better. We are in SW Manitoba and our losses were significant from all the rain after seeding.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As far as the land rent I'm in agreement that it gets paid regardless of whether you seed the ground or not.

Your second question appears to be the real problem here. I will certainly agree that farming & dealing with family is the most difficult part of family farm operation. I farm with 4 other family member & we are slowly learning how to make it work. The more we communicate the better our operation works. If discussion over issues like land rent is not happening with your father it needs to. If it won't happen, then I would be looking for a way out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.