The Combine Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Does anyone have to provide soil test results as part of their rental agreement?
I often wonder how many landlords are getting top dollar while unknowingly having their land mined?
From what I’m seeing it comes up and everybody is scrambling for it.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I’m pretty sure my 15bu durum crop is not mining

·
Registered
692 Posts
Whose land isn’t getting mined? It is literally impossible to not mine soil with our current unsustainable model of high input, mass production, artificial agriculture.
This year marks the third in a row that the world will produce less wheat than it consumes.
I’m interested to here what model of agriculture you would like to see.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I hope this doesn't become the new normal. Land rent bidding wars? Got enough "my dick is bigger" in the industry already. To some money is the only thing that matters. If some younger guy is trying to compete in this situation to expand a small operation he can't compete. How does renting your land to someone with land all over the province benefit your community? Will their kids go to school there? Money talks to many people. The box we get put in and the man upstairs could care less. Your land, your choice, but look around you when you decide who its going too. I had this typed up a few days ago and forgot to post. my bad if it has already been mentioned

·
Registered
171 Posts
Money talks. Thats all that matters.
Which is also the sadpart because its truly turned farming into a pay to play. You want 5000.more acres... just throw an ad in the paper for 140$/ ac and you would get lots.
Ive had landlords call me.and offer their land if i pay X dollars ..even though theyve been renting it to a neighbour for 10 yrs and rent has been paid every year and they are good people. No bueno sir.
I understand wanting to make the most off of your investments, but at what point is 5 or 10$ more/ ac just not worth it when maybe getting a bit less to good people is more important.

That beiing said... if we sold the farm i could care less who buys it..as long as they paid the most. You only get 1 chance to sell!

These conversations are the same ones farmers have had forever and will continue to have until either the govt owns all.the land or 20 giant farm.corporations do...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Some guys aren’t very bright when it comes to land rent. Picking the guy from 30miles away is stupid if you can have a local 2-4th generation family farm take care of it. We always need the next generation to have a chance. I’ve been offered lots of land that other guys are farming and have always said no. And suggested I didn’t want to step into there sandbox or make hard feelings.

Guys are beating down the doors looking for rental land and landlords all think every farm is getting rich. Why can know body do the math and understand the expense side has gone nuts and revenue isn’t exactly going to make anyone rich without a bumper crop.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts