The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been kicking tires at renting more land. Problem in our area is Hutterites are moving in from every side driving land price and land rent up. They can make 70 dollar an acre land rent work cause of all the acres they farm and low labour costs, I can't! I know I pencil out the dollars and I can make it work but not much profit and if we have a crop failure look out! I really wish the government would step in and limit there acres, they are killing the family farm. I know many of them and they are good guys but they aren't working for themselves. My question to everyone is the going rate 70 dollars pretty normal for dryland semi arrid land?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Limit

Been kicking tires at renting more land. Problem in our area is Hutterites are moving in from every side driving land price and land rent up. They can make 70 dollar an acre land rent work cause of all the acres they farm and low labour costs, I can't! I know I pencil out the dollars and I can make it work but not much profit and if we have a crop failure look out! I really wish the government would step in and limit there acres, they are killing the family farm. I know many of them and they are good guys but they aren't working for themselves. My question to everyone is the going rate 70 dollars pretty normal for dryland semi arrid land?
Limit just Hutterites or all big farms? Hrushka farms more than most hutterite colonies and lots of investors own hundreds of thousands of acres. I don't like the thought of Hutterites farming all the land but do I like investors of super rich individuals farming it all any better?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Don't like renting for $70 , but sure like the idea of renting it out for $70 .

hehe x2

Look if your not going to make a dime renting the land why bother? I'm not going to wear out machinery just to farm more acres. In my books you have to make money on rented land.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Friend I were talking, land rent came up, he'd been to a presentation where fair land rent should be 20 to 25% of 80% crop insurance coverage in AB.
That's pretty simple.:)
That does sound fair, unfortunately there are those who seem to throw good economic sense out the window in favour of greed/bragging rights causing artificially high rents in many areas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That does sound pretty simple but not one of these colonies and big farms follow these rules! Or will for that matter! I agree that it doesn't pay to keep the machinery companies and dealerships going just to say you farm x amount of land. In addition these big companies and colonies are the death of our small towns. They don't support local so the mom and dad shops close and we drive 100 miles for a timken bearing

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
That does sound fair, unfortunately there are those who seem to throw good economic sense out the window in favour of greed/bragging rights causing artificially high rents in many areas.
That's about what it is in our area of course our land is less productive I don't think the government can help you it is free enterprise after all like I said to a friend of mine if your not willing to pay the market rate someone else will you just have to make yourself more efficient to compete if not stay smaller its no different in any other business the ma and pa stores got stomped out by wal mart no different in ag unfortunately

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Where we are most of the time the so called big farms are done sooner than the smaller ones. If your gonna be big you better be efficient. Seeding should only take so long no matter how many acres, it's all relevant.

I do agree the rent prices are getting high and borderline profitable, especially on a average year.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Also a matter of age I'm thinking when you are 25 you are wild and wanna go big , so making $10 un acre you think ur doing pretty good but when you like Don's age you rather think $100 acre is the bare min to get out and do something.................

·
Registered
449 Posts
One guy around here bid $110/acre on one farm, (almost double the going rate) just so someone else wouldn't get it. Word spread quick now he's paying $110/acre on all his rented acres. And he's still trying to get more. But you hear him complaining he's farming at a loss!
Economics don't add up here at that price. You've got to make money on rented ground. You won't last long if you are paying someone else "just to farm for the fun of it"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.