The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
You either draw line in the sand now or be prepared to keep giving in. What happens when your other land lords get wind that you are giving out money? And make no mistake they will find out. The audacity of your land lord to ask over text is something else. I used to kiss ass to the people I rent from but in the end I figured out it made no difference and I just ended up disappointed. So now its just a business relationship, nothing more nothing less. The line in the sand for me was when dad had a 24 year rental relationship terminated through the mail, next spring the cousin was farming it. Its way easier to rent from FCC or the bank........

·
Registered
284 Posts
i was going to write a post after the last one about how its only $10 that they're asking and in the grand scheme of things isn't outrageous. But at the same time every dollar counts!!
What ever you do take the high road. I know it sucks, you feel your hard work is not recognized , but the good land lords will know you work hard. This guy you have now is fishing for a deal, kind of dirty especially with a tough harvest and market conditions. Ive been thru this and if you maintain a professional relationship they will gradually realize that maybe the grass is not greener on the other side. I would make an upfront offer only if a long term agreement is signed. Also very important now days if you do sign a lengthy deal my lawyer advised me to put a caveat on the rental to at least guarantee the length of the contract. I had one bad experience where a land lord pulled the plug on a lease because he was in financial trouble and needed to sell the land while I still had three years left. I let him out in spite of good will. His money is long gone now and he should of retained the land. It bugs me that now days a hand shake and signed name means nothing, hence a caveat. Not a very popular way to make a contract but legally its the only way.
With the world in a wash of grains right now and no help from the phase 1 agreement with China I dont think a run up in land rent will be good for your bottom line. Not far away from a lot of farms feeling like a stage of protectionism.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Tough one, not in your shoes. Let them know your current position. Drought, bad prices... Maybe ask for what you need to make it work if you give the 20%. Make it work for both sides. That is always a good business deal.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Have not heard of anyone lowering rent in our area. Everyone has held firm, just too much competition. If your landlord lowered rent then I think they were being very fair. Coming back up 9 bucks from 45 is still pretty fair.
In the end if a farmer is continually losing money on rented ground, then it's a no brainer to let it go, but equipment, labour and other costs on all other land goes up as well.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Tell him to stick it where the sum don’t shine!!!! I’m not sure where you are in SW Sk, but I think commodity prices are the same where I farm as where you arein the toilet compared to our inputs. Yes, red lentils have come up somewhat, but that being said not much others have moved.
My own personal opinion is one the BTO will eventually take over the land you are farming, and you have fixed it up for them, it happens all the time. The moisture thing is an absolute joke!!
Wonder last spring if rain didn’t come till July if he would have come to you to decrease the rental ..... not a chance. Landlords don’t give a rats ass, as long as your cheque clears is all they worry about.
IMO there is no money in renting land today. Inputs are too high, machinery costs and parts are outlandish. You wear your equipment out and the little money you might make won’t replace it. Farm what you own put extra into it.
Those extra $65-$85 ac can go along way to your own farm.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
So let me get this right. They originally lowered the rent $20 an acre from 65 to 45, now they want to go up to about 55? Not sure why you are upset, they could have left it at the original $65 and let you either take it or leave it. If you don't think you will make any money off it, let it go. My theory is I might as well be pumping gas on the weekend instead of farming rented land for nothing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Zeeman, you are spot on with your assessment of this Landlord. They don't give a f##k!. but for whatever reason they agreed to the $45 rent. to be honest I'm sure they could've found another person to pay the $65. but is that our fault?
My Father in law said it best , as the tenant you want to pay as least as possible, and as the landlord they want as much as possible. just have to find a medium hopefully!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
These type of things make me mad, a contract is a contract. A person makes a budget,a plan for the length of the contract to make things work out. A drought year or hailed out etc, I would always pay and would not cry any sad story to get a break on the rent, but I also expect the landlords would not come for more money either or be shopping for other renters. %20 of your acres are a big chunk, but I bet it will be in the paper the day your lease is up for the highest bid. If it was a renewing bonus it would be one thing, but just extra on some random year that’s another. Good luck

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
So your area is $60-$100. I get the principal of the contract, but I think you're gonna have to show them some good faith as they showed you. Or if you dislike them you should drop them. My experience is don't do business with people you don't respect.
He wants to bump you to $54. I don't know your area or your financials but if I'm the landlord I'd likely be renting it to a guy who was willing to pay what the market can bare. Landlords don't owe the farmer anything. The market is the market. Either your in or your out. Don't hate the player hate the game.?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
so when we stuck out their $65 rent it wasn't good faith? not sure what you're saying? We're expecting them to do the same and honour the negotiated contract as we did.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Your landlord sounds desperate (or shady) if he’s willing to breach a contract with his name on it. If he’s not happy with a contract that he signed he should try better next time. If you want to keep farming the land, could you negotiate the renewal contract now. Don’t pay the bonus, use that money in the renewal. He’s obviously had suitors at his door. If there’s no guarantee you’ll get the land again, well that bonus money is better in your pocket.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Gauranteed someone has been knocking on his door. Mennies here pull out the RM map after church and all congregate on how and who to door knock on next. Tonnes of changes and higher rent flying around here. Don't know where they get the money but it seems endless and the infrastructure they have built in these past few yrs is unreal. Don't know how you can show up out of the blue and then buy everything in sight and rent everything available and still look for more. More families showing up every few months. A young farmer could never do what they are doing here. Bank would never lend the money on that amount unless I am doing everything wrong lol. Huge bins and shops and buying expensive yard sites and growing bigger by the second. Many here figure it's Cartel money being laundered into farming operations. At first I thought that was nonsense but as I watch how fast things are expanding here I am not so sure. W5 did a documentary on the billions of dollars a Mennonite ring in Mexico had made smuggling drugs. The main guy was wanted in Canada but was living in Mexico.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
so when we stuck out their $65 rent it wasn't good faith? not sure what you're saying? We're expecting them to do the same and honour the negotiated contract as we did.
You indicated in your first post that your landlord agreed that your present rental contract would be honoured to its conclusion. I think he’s just giving you a heads up for what might happen after that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Gauranteed someone has been knocking on his door. Mennies here pull out the RM map after church and all congregate on how and who to door knock on next. Tonnes of changes and higher rent flying around here. Don't know where they get the money but it seems endless and the infrastructure they have built in these past few yrs is unreal. Don't know how you can show up out of the blue and then buy everything in sight and rent everything available and still look for more. More families showing up every few months. A young farmer could never do what they are doing here. Bank would never lend the money on that amount unless I am doing everything wrong lol. Huge bins and shops and buying expensive yard sites and growing bigger by the second. Many here figure it's Cartel money being laundered into farming operations. At first I thought that was nonsense but as I watch how fast things are expanding here I am not so sure. W5 did a documentary on the billions of dollars a Mennonite ring in Mexico had made smuggling drugs. The main guy was wanted in Canada but was living in Mexico.
Have you watched Ozark on Netflix? makes a person wonder

·
Registered
938 Posts
He is like any landlord, just seeing how hungry you really are. There is likely someone who has already approached him knowing your lease is soon up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
He is like any landlord, just seeing how hungry you really are. There is likely someone who has already approached him knowing your lease is soon up.
anything is possible these days, and we are not in a position to get into a bidding war.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I still say use the bonus as the wedge to get a new agreement. No agreement the land is already queued up for the BTO and screw the bonus. Your going to be negotiating any ways. Might as well get at it. Refuse the bonus and as sure as the sun is coming up tomorrow buddy down the road will be farming it.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts