The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to put up more storage next summer. We are unsure which way to go large 10,400 bu hopper bottoms with tube or rocket air or large 30 k flat bottom bins with full floor air. We can put up 7 10,400 bu bins for the same price as the 3 30979 bu bins. The biggest issue is we only farm 1500 ac at this farm on a three crop rotation. The rest of our land is forty miles away so it's a tough call.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would go with the hoppers as well. The price is too close. Also in a couple of years if you need to sell them the hoppers might be worth more that the big flat bottom bins.
Hoppers hold their value and sometimes go up in price.

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
Could do a bit of both. 10,000 bushel bins fill up fast in harvest time. Golden rule is to always build bigger than you think you need, yields aren't trending down.

Does anyone live there? Easier to secure a flat bottom bin than a hopper bin...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could do a bit of both. 10,000 bushel bins fill up fast in harvest time. Golden rule is to always build bigger than you think you need, yields aren't trending down.

Does anyone live there? Easier to secure a flat bottom bin than a hopper bin...
It is along a very busy road and thefts never been an issue yet!!
Security though is much better on the flat bottoms agreed. The nice thing about the hoppers though is we can just keep adding more bins to the row if we expand in that area. We will use two augers at harvest so will have enough room for one day. The other point I never mentioned we can bag any excess. We just have had wildlife issues this year with bags thus building more bins.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of prices were you quoted on the flat bottoms? Seems to me either the hoppers are a really good deal or they quoted you high on the flat bottoms. Both have their benefits.....
The price on the hopper bottoms is very good. I agree the big bins were higher priced then I thought they would be. We have three different quotes on all types of bins and prices on big bins are all about the same.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I want to know where you got your hopper bin price? Seems very good, or your flat bin price was way high. Either way I'm trying to make the same decision, leaning to hoppers. Most we ever harvest in a day is 30,000 ish. A 24ft hopper bin can be moved now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want to know where you got your hopper bin price? Seems very good, or your flat bin price was way high. Either way I'm trying to make the same decision, leaning to hoppers. Most we ever harvest in a day is 30,000 ish. A 24ft hopper bin can be moved now.
We are getting similar prices as mentioned here on Westeel bins on well built generic hoppers. The reason I know hoppers are well built is because we already have 15 21' already and they have been excellent.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hoppers are easier to unload cause gravity seldom fails. The flats are good but you need electricity and you will be running 2 augers sychronized which is adds an element. One of my springland unloaders seems to run the sweep too fast and it piles up too much.

The flat has better aeration. Flat you have to shovel the bottom 2 inches but a hopper is not easy to clean right out either. Flat cant be sold without the land. Even a big hopper could be towed 10 miles no problem.

Normally the flats are more attractive because they cost around half. Not so in your case.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I would never buy another flat bottom again with aeration. I have a 30 and 33'. I have to replace the floors, they didn't have enough uprights under them and they are starting to push through. One of these bins is going to be on its 3rd floor! I have had to put screen over air fans because mice got into one of the bins once as well through the fan - they are at ground level. (I had a heck of a time freezing them out. They survived -40 with fan blowing several days! I ended up poisoning them to get rid of them.)

Flats with air floor are okay but you want to sell all the grain out of them once you invert the center cone. Long term storage in that condition is highly risky. I also do not recommend external roof vents - they leak! I have countless issues of snow getting in at tops,melting with the sun beating down on roof, making rotten plugs above center unload and flow stopping. If you have them, clean the bin out early and don't use for any kind of long term storage. If you go that way, make sure you put internal ladders in them so if you do have to leave grain in them, you can go in and clean snow and ice out of center with a rope and pail. The only bin I would consider on a flat basis is a behlen - they are well sealed and keep the moisture out. Mine are Westeels. IMO

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.