The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, these days, I'm seeing a lot of combines who really need at least 1,500 acre fields just to keep themselves busy for more than just 2-3 days. LOL! I guarantee for most new models, a 320 to 500 acre field, is like a 12' x 12' flight pen for a large parrot.
Any 2 days, and that combine is more than ready to take on more. I love big, 2-4 section fields--and freedom to roll!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I love big, 2-4 section fields--and freedom to roll!
------------------------------------------------------------
Me too Combiness.
I remember reading somewhere that Diamond Ring Farms in the South Dakota had a field that was 7 miles long!! Imagine going into that field with a dozen big combines with 42' Honeybee heads.
That field would be a good one to land in and take off again in my Cessna.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
The bigger the better!! I am totally with combiness
Largest personally: 1120+/- acres, pretty good wheat, but it out in half sections. I do not care how big the fields are as long as they are 160 acres or bigger...even nicer than big is contiguous (i have no idea if that is proper spelling, but oh well...) it is nice to cut 2000-3000 acres and never put the combine on a county road or in road gear...that is a dream come true....

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beh, the last farm my husband and I worked on, was just a big mess as far as the fields were laid out. It was close to 5,000 acres, shared by a pair of big 9610's, but when we went to harvesting, I'll bet mere logistics accounted for at least 1/3 of the total running time. Highways, golf courses, subdivisions, housing and building projects everywhere, small airports, malls, you name it, dotted the landscape, forcing the boss' acreage to an archipeligo [there's another big word for you
] stretching from Plano all the way to north of Denton! Whew!

It's really quite miraculous there were never any roading accidents, though many close calls as urban traffic is now heavy on those former farm roads. The city drivers have no respect and zero tolerance for any large, slow-moving vehicles on "their" roads.
If nothing else, the combines of Denton, Collins, Dallas and Kaufman Counties in Texas, are among the most "street-wise" in the world! LOL!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was told that a few years back Taylor Harvesting out of Lethbridge Alberta, had an Indian Reserve that was 24,000 acres split in half 12,000 acres of wheat 3 combines and buggies took all day to go around it twice.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I was told that a few years back Taylor Harvesting out of Lethbridge Alberta, had an Indian Reserve that was 24,000 acres split in half 12,000 acres of wheat 3 combines and buggies took all day to go around it twice.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
That field in Lethbridge is listed in one of the past Guiness Book of Records as being the biggest wheat field in the world at 10,000 acres.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Now why would you go all the way around a field that size? It seems to me that you have to break it up into around 300-500 acre pieces to get any efficiency in your grain carts and trucking logistics.

-Lance

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I harvested north of Limon on the Linnebre farm and I think that some fields where more than 5000 acre's. It would take a week to finish it, and thats with 7 combines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts