The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheat is at 5 leaf and 2 tillers currently, with some later emergence at 2 leaf. Agrologist recons "lots" of wild oats and green foxtail, a bit of volunteer canola and that I should hit it with axial + 2,4 D ester as soon as possible. I'm not back from work for another 2 weeks so pretty sure it will be too advanced by then, are there any options for late applications or would I have to take the hit on a potential reduction in yield / dockage and just get it cleaned up with desiccant / post harvest application? I don't see a net cost benefit of having someone come in to do it with what they're recommending, be looking at $30 / acre so would need at least a 6 bu bump to be worth while

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wheat is at 5 leaf and 2 tillers currently, with some later emergence at 2 leaf. Agrologist recons "lots" of wild oats and green foxtail, a bit of volunteer canola and that I should hit it with axial + 2,4 D ester as soon as possible. I'm not back from work for another 2 weeks so pretty sure it will be too advanced by then, are there any options for late applications or would I have to take the hit on a potential reduction in yield / dockage and just get it cleaned up with desiccant / post harvest application? I don't see a net cost benefit of having someone come in to do it with what they're recommending, be looking at $30 / acre so would need at least a 6 bu bump to be worth while
Hey Kramer, just hire a local retailer to put the chemical on if you cant. It will only cost you 7-8 dollars per acre and than at least your field is clean. Its a no brainer, the last thing you want to do is add more wild oats to the fields weed bank, you ll be fighting them forever! I would pick up the phone right now!Hope your wheat crop is ok. Think of the long term benefit OF spraying instead of the short term cost.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Get it sprayed now. By the time you factor in the yield loss this year and the mess you’ll have to deal with for the next five years from the seed bank it will leave you 30 bucks will seem cheap. I’d maybe not go with 24d thou. It can be hard on more mature crops.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My wheat was flagging and I sprayed axial and stellar. Didn’t appear it hurt the wheat any. Even oats were just about as advanced and sprayed with stellar.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't have much to add except that wild oats can really hurt...however if the wheat is getting too big I would also recommend something like axial/infinnity as it seems to be alot easier on the crop and wont set it back as much as velocity(group 2 residual oat killer)...It might not work as good but the main thing is for the wheat to stay ahead of everything if it is getting away on a guy...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I keep thinking about this thread (probably because i just had to spray a newly rented 1/2 again because of wild oats) and really am a bit baffled your even considering not spraying again unless there was a green feed or silage option. Even if it was $30 loss it’s worth it. I rented a 1/2 2 years ago coarse I never heard all the stories about how shitty 1/2 was farmed for 35 yrs. Owner gave me lab sample of group 1 resistance on south 1/4 after I had already rented of coarse so sprayed group 2 on half and turns out north quarter resistant to group 2. There’s a huge seed bank in the soil and very expensive to rectify not sure it’s even possible in my working lifetime.

Put avedex down last fall which was great for cereals so far. We don’t have a Valmar and wasn’t one to rent for 500 km so scrounged up an old no-debt and hung my arm out the back window turning gears on/off after I cleaned all the dead mice out of it and fixing hoses.

Point being don’t let those wild oats go to seed!!!!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I hate wind oats more than Don hates his CAT tandem.
Spray that crop!
To be honest the wheat was starting to head out when sprayed with Axial. Chem hurt it a bit but fuc*ed the wild oats and they never went to seed. Seamed to stunt the straw but seed was filled and all good until snow dumped on it last fall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Settled on Achieve liquid + mextrol on the stuff that's nearly booting, Horizon + octtain on the later. It's getting Edge this fall and will be in 233P next year, so the carry over isn't much of a concern. Didn't think anything would grow with how late it was put in and how dry it was, agrologist said the stand looked "excellent" though so that kind of threw a loop into things. Coming from years of less than adequate weed control (resistant green foxtail in the area) so it would have been green feed if it wasn't done. Thanks guys

·
Registered
975 Posts
I would lean more to treflan than edge. I used lots of edge last fall and some treflan. Edge sucks on wild oats, better on Kochia.
Treflan works better on wild oats and poor on kochia. Edge is priced out of this world even with there discounts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Dude if you haven’t got a sprayer man lined up I’d get the f;(k on it ..... everything everyone else said above x1000 ....^^^^..... I’ve used axial when its flagging and it did work ok but that was a re spray job that did not work for whatever reason .....but the wild oats had cost me a lot by that point .... get er done now !!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
I have once sprayed winter wheat with axial and a bronate/MCPA (vendeta) while heading and it was worth it. I found no damage to the crop. Called my dad and double checked when I pulled up to the field and he said go for it. It was worth it. The crop was very healthy and looking good. So were the weeds. Those two make an excellent combo. I have often sprayed fields with those two and it would make them look better. Must be the safener in the axial. Yes, go for it and get it sprayed. Wild oats will haunt a person for the next 10-20 years.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
My only concern with late crop spraying is what residuals remain in the seeds (is that a concern for anyone?) since most say you should wait 60 days before harvest.

I always look at that and wonder why they always put that on the label. Achieve is a good product and it is the last gun to shoot off on group 1 resistance. Fop and Den are the most common resistant Group 1 I believe. I think you spray a group 2 twice on the resistant strains and you are pretty well finished on group 2. JMO

I have gone to avadex and FMC products. Although expensive, I can't see myself ever putting on edge at $25/acre as a powder blowing in the wind from a Valmar applicator in SW Saskatchewan. I have had no success with Edge although I have never put it on with a heavy harrow - really don't want the land to blow away as I break up the little surface straw I have in the last drought years. Again, JMO.

I have to agree with everyone, you can't miss an opportunity to spray. That clump of kochia that you didn't wipe out can be the one that spreads throughout your field and resistant to everything known to man!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My only concern with late crop spraying is what residuals remain in the seeds (is that a concern for anyone?) since most say you should wait 60 days before harvest.

I always look at that and wonder why they always put that on the label. Achieve is a good product and it is the last gun to shoot off on group 1 resistance. Fop and Den are the most common resistant Group 1 I believe. I think you spray a group 2 twice on the resistant strains and you are pretty well finished on group 2. JMO

I have gone to avadex and FMC products. Although expensive, I can't see myself ever putting on edge at $25/acre as a powder blowing in the wind from a Valmar applicator in SW Saskatchewan. I have had no success with Edge although I have never put it on with a heavy harrow - really don't want the land to blow away as I break up the little surface straw I have in the last drought years. Again, JMO.

I have to agree with everyone, you can't miss an opportunity to spray. That clump of kochia that you didn't wipe out can be the one that spreads throughout your field and resistant to everything known to man!
Have to see if he can get in to do it, guess there was over an inch again yesterday

1 - 20 of 20 Posts