The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to getting rained out on numerous occasions and a handful of breakdown I’m left with some acres left to seed. What are my best options for them. Don’t really want to be combining a pile of acres in october but rather seed the ground growing something.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
You aren't the only one.
I gave up.
Turn the tractor off.
Lots of others did as well.
Came to the conclusion I don't want to combine frozen turds in Nov/Dec or next spring for that matter.
Millet for feed was mentioned.
Winter wheat/fall rye maybe.
Right now it looks like smf.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you have cattle, green feed or silage or swath grazing.

Maybe seed a cover crop, spray out the broad leaves and then desicate in the fall before the seeds in the cover crop/weeds become a problem. Might be easier than keeping summerfallow clean.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
The feed/hay market has been good. Grow some hay and try to lower the market value. Haha, that is how it usually works out for me. Can have it custom hayed if you don't have the equipment. Sell it in the field.

·
Registered
940 Posts
We re gonna be combining everything in October November this year anyways so we re going till July. Last year our frost was oct 18 so everything would have made it.

Just got 4 inches of rain yesterday so don't think we'll get much more done but the floater is ready to roll if it does manage to dry up some. 1800 acres left I'd like to get something on and about 1200 I've written off for the year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Winter wheat might be a good idea. Always wanted to try but tough to get the scheduling right. It'd be early start to harvest next year if things worked out.

Oats can be ok to if wanted to get growing sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Mastin Seeds has Early One Polish Canola. Supposed to be 87 day maturity. And less than half the price of anything else.

Dad once seeded barley at the very end of June and it made grain, and we enjoy the lowest heat units of anywhere.

Have seeded swath grazing up to the end of July, later always seems to grow the most tons.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I planted barley July 5 a few years back

I cut it green when first frost was due that night knocked it all down that day .. heads where filled out …but green as grass … took a month and it came off tough as nails but made grain …. Was yielding low 40’s not much straw , weight was respectable all things considered

1 - 13 of 13 Posts