The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to start...from what I recall, a cold morning, the feeder faceplate settled but ran several acres before noticing and it required a full cycle to rephase the cylinders. This is pretty uncommon for this 740 to require this. Has a 40' fd70 with headsight tilt kit installed.
Next thing I notice is the header slowly tilts to the right when I turn around. The only time it quits tilting in the air is if you manually disable tilt by tapping the tilt switch, then it quits tilting. After a couple days of this, I adjusted rod linkage on headsight sensor to get it to stop. These have been trouble free and look ok, so I don't think it was the proper "fix".

Also, about 10% of the time, it struggles to fully tilt to the left, sometimes not even tilting fully without helping use the opposite end of header for leverage. While typing this, I recall hearing about making sure the bottom two bolts aren't tight. I should check that.

My main questions are how common is it for tilt cylinders to need rebuilt? They aren't leaking. Maybe the issue is with the valve body for tilt, though I am not sure how to verify. And lastly, why would it tilt to the right slowly when turning around, but quits if I tap the tilt button? These issues seem related, yet one seems electrical, the other hydraulical.

Why isn't hydraulical a word if electrical is????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you tried to Relearn the tilt function in Cebis under the Feederhouse Icon? It could be a valve not operating properly, also check that your potentiometers are reaching the proper voltage when all the way tilted and not tilted should be in the OMM I would think and explain how to adjust them.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
My guess with your lateral tilt drifting while raised is that one of your sensors is sticking and not fully extending. I have never seen the top link on the feeder faceplate come out of phase, which is amazing given the pressure it must be under at times.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To clarify, this header is using two sensors, that control tilt and the average reading of the two control height. It is a headsight kit bolted to the macdon with threaded rod on the bell crank. I do not have hydraulic top link. I might go through and readjust sensors and do a recal. Hate to because it worked so good on the first calibration of the year. Still have an issue on why it won't tilt well to the left at times.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
A couple thoughts:

Is the head struggling to tilt left when you manually tilt it, or only in auto?

It the cylinders are "collapsing", then that would also affect the faceplate tilt sensor linkage, which may be what is causing your tilt issue when turning?

Double check the Headsight sensor voltage ranges with the tester. As long as they are in range and close to equal, the combine should calibrate to them and work. Don't be afraid to recal...just make sure to do the steps required (loosen float springs if required, block faceplate from hyper-extending float.)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff, good thoughts. It, at times, struggles to tilt left fully. I am getting the tilt cylinders resealed to start with.

I will also realign left and right sensors and then recal. Hate to after the first cal of the season worked so well, but that's ok.

I dont think the faceplate tilt sensor has anything to do with the auto height/ tilt function, but could be wrong. I would guess the faceplate sensor only tells computer to quit attempting to further tilt after it reaches maximum stroke.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I dont think the faceplate tilt sensor has anything to do with the auto height/ tilt function, but could be wrong. I would guess the faceplate sensor only tells computer to quit attempting to further tilt after it reaches maximum stroke.
Hmmm. Good thought. I've been wondering what Claas uses that sensor for as well. I would have thought they would use it for autolevel on the headlands, but doesn't seem like it.
Keep us informed on you progress, we are all learning here!

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I would have thought they would use it for autolevel on the headlands, but doesn't seem like it.
Me too but even with auto header height shut off to simply feeder house angle up if header float and balance not set evenly lateral tilt will tilt max one way or the other.

Like your idea of auto lateral center on up headland turn!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our 2388 had auto level at headland!

I would like a blend...autolevel on headland but activate tilt if it contacts something, like it currently does. Solved! (nothing but a software update)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Next thing I notice is the header slowly tilts to the right when I turn around. The only time it quits tilting in the air is if you manually disable tilt by tapping the tilt switch, then it quits tilting.

/QUOTE]
I had the same problem with our f540 40'.. it tilted to the right when I turned around or started up.. turns out my left tilt sensor was bad..

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update. Rebuilt tilt cylinders. So far, they don't settle or come out of phase. (this machine very seldom ever settled until last week) They tilt fully quickly as they should now, again.

Adjusted headsight tilt kit sensors. Both read exactly 4.5 volts raised, and around 2.0 volts fully lowered. They don't match when lowered because I think the linkage has an arc and the linkage and arc are slightly different. No worries because a header cal should take care of that. After the new cal, the header goes down very slowly, hunting cautiously for the ground and the preset level when the cutterbar just about reaches the ground. I think I need to recal once more. The MacDon header did attempt to drift up when I did the cal. Even so, it doesn't tilt to the right when turning around so I think all is well.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will keep this in mind...for next year!

How do these lateral tilt sensor voltages compare to headsight box voltage when cutting off the ground? I am confident when cutting wheat with the 4 wands, I have about 4.5 volts reading on the box. Does it send the combine the same voltage as displayed on the box?

BTW, thanks again for making that jumper wire to go from lateral tilt kit to fifth "center" connector at box, to prevent header bottoming out on a hill in the center.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
No, the Insight calibrates to whatever range the sensors are, then sends 1.0V-4.0V to your combine. Your "wheat" sensors may be reading 4.5V max, but the Insight is outputting 4.0V to the combine after calibration. You can see the outputs to the combine under "Diagnostics>>Detailed Diagnostics>>Left/Right Height Output"

No problem, that was a nice idea.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeff, thanks again. I always think of these as 5 volt sensors and therefore the max can be 5. In the future, I will aim for 4 volts max.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts