The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone help me out with their experiences on the new style scraper-seed boot on a 3720 Bourgault . We are having considerable issues with the boot itself plugging when seeding chikpeas. I can only wonder how bad its going to be with peas at 50 lbs per acre more than chikpeas. First year running the new scrapers,have run the drill itself since 2017. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Welcome:

How far from the outer edge of the disk are your scrapers set? What is the nature of the plugging, are there seeds jamming in the air passage in the boot only, or is there also old crop residue hairpining on the front of the scraper between it and the disc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The scrapers are set at 3/4 -1'' from edge of disc. We seeded 480 acres with virtually no plugging, field conditions were ideal, good moisture,durum straw from last year was harrowed in the fall.The next field was wetter and was harrowed in the fall as well,with another harrow app... this spring wich .is part of the problem I think. Yes the seeds are jamming up in the boot itself.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
You most likely have the newest version of scrapers. There was a one year availability of a scraper design quite a few years ago that was a bit problematic for large seeds jamming up. The design that followied that works quite well for most situations.
Can you dial in any more fan speed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can maybe get a little more speed on the fans, remotes not quite maxed out yet. Question- have you seeded chikpeas with this scraper and what are your settings. We run a 70 foot drill, 7950 cart with ASC, high speed fans - got em running at 5000rpm, pushing 154 lbs seed with 60lbs fert single shoot. Running my packing pressure at 800-1000 PSI,seeding at 5 MPH. With old scrapers I could seed at 5.3-5.5 mph. Have tried slowing to 4.8 no difference. At first I thought the small rubber flap was building up with dirt and plugging up the boot, which is not the case, most boots I can unplug by tapping on the side. Wondering if rubber flap and the fact that sidewalls of the trench are wet and firm are sealing of enough to create a little bit of backpressure to make the seeds jam up in the boot. What did they change from that first design of that leading edge scraper.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
The setup that I drive is exactly like your drill including the fans. You likely won’t be able to get much more fan speed than what you have there. That second generation boot was very similar to the present one but there were a couple of sharp turns in the passage inside the boot. There was also a different furrow finger and mounting point. We don’t grow chickpeas but it did plug a bit in oats with those boots.

You aren’t using seed brakes by any chance? We used seed brakes on the first generation and the second generation boots. On the second generation we had to use custom air plugs to stop the seed brakes from venting to keep the velocity up inside the boot. When the current third generation boots were put on we took the seed brakes off and it still provided the best seed placement and least amount of pugging. On the earlier setup seed treatments from canola and inoculant from soybeans would build up inside the seed brake then dislodge and chunks would plug the crooked passage inside the seed boot, but I don’t think we ever used the seed brakes on the boots that are in use on it now. I think we’ll finally be back in the field tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No we don't use seed brakes. I have been thinking about it with all the recent trouble, but if we have that third version of the seed boot than from your experiences I more than likely will not be getting any. Can't wait to get going in a few days as well and try a few different things.We had 2'' of rain in southeastern Sask and those Regina Plains were wet already,but I'm not complaining.We definetly won't have to seed canola at 2'' this year. Thanks for your help so far.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The first scraper with a seed firmer was in 2017 and then a new version in 2018 which is the current LDx scraper. I have been running the LDx since 2018 and the only time I have had seed plug at the scraper was if the scraper wasn't tight enough to the disc and had straw wrap around it. Haven't seeded chickpeas so chickpeas could be part of the problem.

I am wondering if the seed firmer could be causing an issue either dragging seed or mud causing a plug? There are 2 holes in the firmer for mounting it. Might need to adjust to have the firmer sitting higher to prevent it pushing mud or large seeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts