The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. Kohler engine on my auger wouldn't start. Seemed there was no life so decided to boost it with the boost hookups on the John Deere. Anyways that wasn't the problem. Seemed my little friends decided to bare the regulator wire and it grounded out. Make a long story short regulator fried and a ignition module as well. Now I don't know whether the bare wire or my boosting was the culprit but someone told me not to boost a kohler with a running vehicle as the high amps will fry the charging system. I was lucky to find another wrecked motor with no hours and a good electrical system. It was a cheap fix luckily.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Have boosted our Onan engine (Brandt auger) many times. Hook battery to battery never a problem using tractor, trucks, semi, etc.

We DID have trouble boosting with our former 1999 F250 (7.3L diesel). It was fine boosting small engines - auger, lawn mower, etc. Anything larger and it would fry the alternator and batteries on the F250. Replaced the alt/batts 2 or 3 times before we figured out what was causing it!

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.