The Combine Forum banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I bought four foot direct drop in led lights from costco in winnipeg for $ 26.99 before taxes for two bulbs . I am really impressed with them -- they just drop in -- you don't have to do anything with the ballasts and they work with both magnetic as well as electronic ballasts . The only thing is that they could be a higher kelvin rating making them whiter but they are much whiter and brighter than the cool whites they replaced. Supposedly good for 50000 hours .and csa aproved .

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I believe the Costco bulbs are a 4000 colour bulb and I ended up doing a similar thing in the shop some weeks ago, or should say initially had dropped them into the existing housings that still had the magnetic ballasts. Then shortly after that in talking to one of the commercial lighting outlets he warned me that they were having bulb failures in about three months time ( no doubt a different brand as there are a few brands out there ) as he stated that the old magnetic ballast has no brain whats so ever and it keeps ramming the same power through it then it did for a bulb that took over twice the watts to operate. So I ended up buying electronic ballasts but before I did the swap of the ballasts I checked the wattage draw on that circuit with the same LED bulbs in place, then did the ballast swap and the wattage draw dropped in half. The lights were not as brilliant then either but operating how they are supposed to so I can see why there is a danger of them having a short life with the old style ballast. You are right though, the Costco box does state its supposed to work with either ballast type but any of the other bulb brands I've looked at specifically state otherwise and to only use a T8 electronic ballast. So just a heads up on that and also that your not saving any power at all over the old bulbs if you are using magnetic ballasts.

I then decided to take out the 8 footers I had and toss them and installed four foot T8 units in their place and again put the Costco bulbs in them, of course being new they have electronic ballasts. Without a doubt they throw a lot more light then the old T12 bulbs with the magnetic ballast and at least the theory is they should come on when its quite cold since I only selectively heat the space depending on what I need to do.

I should add as well, definitely if one wants to pay over double the price to buy this type of bulb elsewhere, they are made in a 5000 and I think even a 6500 . I think if the ceiling is high then the whiter ones might be helpful but with a lower ceiling it might end up being too blinding with too white of a light and no diffuser cover. Costco jacked up the price in the last few weeks here to 28.99 for a set of two , no doubt our lower dollar finally kicking in but the similar bulbs seemed to run about 30.00 "per bulb" elsewhere.

·
Registered
774 Posts
You should be able to get them for $20 or less and yes they are worth every penny . I switched my shop over a few months ago .

·
Registered
774 Posts
Northern . I not sure I've seen them that need a ballast I have seen ones that say can be used with or without but in my testing they don't always work properly with it's better just to remove the ballast and wire direct .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I just wanted to share a little information regarding the LED replacement tubes so maybe this will help people who wanted to know about this.
How to select a Fluorescent replacement tube?
Selecting the right LED fluorescent replacement tubes can be confusing due to the lots of product types and installation options. This article will assist you in the process and help to make the right choice for your specific projects.
If you are new in lighting industry so first you need to understand that, what are the LED fluorescent replacement tubes?
LED Fluorescent replacement tubes:
LED tubes that can fit directly in the fluorescent tube fixture are called LED Fluorescent replacement tubes, when you feel to switch your lighting technology from fluorescent to LED; you need to know which LED tube is best replacement of your fluorescent tube. We can say that LED tubes are energy efficient replacement for the fluorescent tubes. When we talk about the replacement it's not for wattage equivalent but for other things like length and diameter of tube and brightness.
Selection of Right LED Fluorescent replacement tube:
The most important thing is to select the exact replacement tube for your fluorescent light fixture. The installation procedure will vary and depend on what type of fixture you have, either its T5 or T8. The best option to figure out what type of tube you currently have is to remove the tube from the fixture and read the markings on the end. If there is no marking available on the tube, than the size of the diameter of tube is the best way to know the type of the fixture you have installed.
How to determine the type of fixture by size?
If you have T8 fluorescent light fixture so the diameter of the tube will be 1-inch, and for T12 tubes the diameter will be 1-1/2-inch. If the tube diameter is very small (5/8 inch) it means you have T5 fluorescent light fixture so you can use T5 LED (T5 LED Fluorescent replacement tube).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anybody tried those 150watt or 200 watt hi bay lights from interlakes resources or others selling the same model?
I put (4) of these 100 watt units in my 40' x 40' shop in addition to the (2) 400w metal halides that I have in there. It lights up pretty good now. 16' ceIlings. We will see how long they last. I also put (2) of them in the wife's horse barn. I am not a BTO and have a day job so they won't get as much use as some of you, but I'm happy with them right now.

Jeff

101 - 106 of 106 Posts