The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced that LED lights in a shop cause interference with remote overhead door openers? We have had the same steel-craft door opener with several remotes for probly 25 years or so now. It has always worked flawlessly. Shop had 8 foot fluorescent fixtures but about a year ago I bought a bunch of the 8 foot LED replacement tubes and installed them and removed or bypassed the ballasts. The lights are unreal as far as light with the added benefit of no ballasts buzzing and humming all the time. Began to have trouble with the remote openers right after and eventually narrowed it down to the lights. If you turn off the two sets of lights which are closest to the door opener the remotes work perfect. It has become a major annoyance to have to turn the lights off every time you want to use the door. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this with any other types of lights and is their a solution?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Never had it happen personally, but cheap bulbs will do it. The drivers in the bulb create enough emf to mess with the opener. Good bulbs will have shielding in the driver to prevent stray emf. You could try changing the frequency on your opener, but that is a hail Mary. Best bet with out changing bulbs is moving the openers antenna further away from the lights.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I don't know about the noise/interference factor ( which no doubt is the cause for the controller not working ) but I have to wonder if those bulbs you installed are even CSA/UL approved and the reason I say that is a couple or three years ago on this forum that was brought up that there was no such thing as an approved 8 foot replacement bulb as the ones on the market at that time anyway and sounds like yours are similar, they are taking an existing housing and modifying the wiring inside of it which renders the whole assembly not to Canadian/US code. If you keep having issues with those lights closer to the antenna and can't move it, perhaps you would have to replace those select lighting units with something that hopefully creates no electrical noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts