The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does your state or province require to buy and apply pesticides? In wi. we have to attend a class followed by a written test to receive our private pesticide applicators license, a card you show to dealers when buying pesticides. We must retake the test every 5 yrs. Commercial applicators take a different test.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Exam for initial certification, class every year for three years or skip class and test on third year for renewal, applies only to private application. No requirments to purchase if you are not applying.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here in michigan you take a test for private or commercial and depending on what meetings you go to you can get points for going...I think you have to have 18 credits over 3 years to keep you license without retesting. You only need the license to apply not buy.

·
Registered
677 Posts
In Ontario, farmers need to take an afternoon operators course to buy spray. Can't buy spray without your dealer having your card number on file. Custom operators need take an exterminators course.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I thought I'd point out that in Alberta and presume the other prairie provinces as well, you have to be a farmer to buy chemical from any agricultural outlet but we ourselves who farm in these provinces hardly even pick up on that since its a given that buying insane dollars worth chemical means one is a farmer. Typically lines of credit are established at most retailers and once they know you at all, that topic never comes up. The reason I mentioned this of being able to buy chemicals, it came up the other day as a nephew wanted to buy some Par 3 to spray his lawn in town ... dealer wouldn't sell it to him because he doesn't farm and that would be the same problem an acreage owner would run into for spraying some pasture for their horse, have to ask a farmer to get it for them seems to be the way it tends to go. Dealers also give out free copies of the Blue Book to help guide a person some as well in the do's and don'ts of each chemical.

·
Super Moderator
548 Posts
The reason I mentioned this of being able to buy chemicals, it came up the other day as a nephew wanted to buy some Par 3 to spray his lawn in town ... dealer wouldn't sell it to him because he doesn't farm and that would be the same problem an acreage owner would run into for spraying some pasture for their horse
Actually, that is a good point. I was actually needing some PAR3 to control some dandelions in the yard and was just needing a small amount, so we will see if I get any resistance from the dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts