The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have alot of crop that was not able to get harvested this fall. We have oats, flax and soybeans out under the snow.

MY question is in regards to independent disk units like the Lemken Heliodore, the Degelman Protill.

What is your experience and what would you recommend.

We farm sticky clay

·
Registered
880 Posts
we worked a corn stubble in spring due to high residue with the lemken rubin,
set it to work shallow. worked it nice and black, but ya when the airdrill hits it it still pulls up straw again, a disc drill will do a better job of keepin the thresh down after you hit it with the highspeed disc

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have seen the job that the Protill does in comparison to the Lemken rubin ( I think it was a rubin) and a Joker. The protill by far had the nicest field finish. The lemken and joker were about the same. Those two seemed to leave areas on the wings that weren't worked as good. I don't know what causes that if its improper machine set up or just the design of the machines. I suppose it could be that at the demo the dealer sales person didn't know how to set things up properly on the lemken and joker. I don't see how thats possible though, aren't the dealer sales person's suppose to be all knowledgable and all knowing when it comes to the machines that they sell :roll eyes:

In the end I see that the guys who did the demo ended up with a protill and after looking at one at the red deer farms show, you can really tell the Degelman doesn't worry about putting to much steel into there machines. It is however almost twice the cost, and a 40 foot machine will make a 550 quad track beg from momma

Reactions: Doctor 650

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
alfred123 The balance of our crops are screwed. Steady rain since August and now 12" of snow has everything totally wrecked. Flax dropped 50-60% of the bolls on the ground. Whats left wont pay the combine. Oats are flat to the ground, sprouted and regrew now under snow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We bought a Lemken Rubin 9, used it on our hailed land and our heavier black soil land. Worked about 4 -5 inches deep it's black now but hard to say what it will be like in the spring. Hopefully not five inches of soup. All the thiner soil was just heavy harrowed. The black land was also wetter with sprayer ruts and combine ruts( matches don't take care of them) so we thought we could add some air to the soil and relieve the compaction.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks... Problem in our area is we generally cant burn... Not interested in paying MNR $2500/hour to water bomb my fields. Our area is only 35% harvested. Guessing 30-40 thousand acres not harvested in our district

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
He isn't talking about burning everything every year all the time. He wanted suggestions and that is an option. I've tried working heavy stubble, still can't seed it. He had to look at short term solution to his problem. Will likely have to pay $100000+ for a machine plus $10 per acre in fuel and be in a position that he may not seed next year?? Doesn't make sense to me.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.