The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everybody else does when it comes to people asking to borrow equipment. Seems for the past couple of years we have lent quite a few things out and they don't come back in the same shape. I don't mind lending things out to certain people in the area that will always help you out to if a situation arises, but some people will never help you back or just can't because they don't have the means to.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Only for a few friends/neighbors who would do the same for me in a heartbeat if one was in need...otherwise I don't. Don't rent it either. Been down that path in years gone by with much the same results as stated above.

And even on the smaller stuff, very seldom ever loan out specialty tools or any of my service manuals anymore either. Got tired of chasing them down when I needed them, being dirty and damaged, some disappeared all together, and once I had to buy my own book back at the guys sale:mad: My neighbors in black now and then stop in and ask for special tools, which I will give them simple stuff like large sockets ect, and I'll give them credit, once they are done it comes back immediately and even clean. More than I can say about most others;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I say put a price on equipment you want to rent out , and then pay when you rent stuff or help back. ( you can decide if it is high rent or low rent and repairs) I know when I rent from neighbor/friend that I am responsible for repairs ( tire hoses other miner repairs)
I think it works better for both parties, you will get money to replace, or upgrade or own more equipment, the renter would have access to equipment that he could not justify purchasing. and extra set of helping hands when really needed.
It would be great if we could all work together, I own a heavy harrow you own the tandem disc.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Don't lend and don't borrow.

Not a rental dealer

But I don't mind bringing something over to help the person out with as long as im there/running it

·
Registered
773 Posts
There are a few select people you could trust with your stuff. You probably know who they are. All the rest are "users". Your equipment and tools are your assets that you require to earn a living. No one should ask to borrow them. Some guys borrow for so long you forget where it is, then when you remember they deny they borrowed.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I try not to borrow ..if I do my policy is if I break something weather my fault or not I make sure it is fixed on my dime ... I try to even grease clean windows what ever if not do what ever sometimes if I know they have not changed oil or whatever I will do that even.... Most good neighbors will start to do the same to your stuff if you do it to there's.... Those who don't do mot waiste your time ....with them. I know some neighbors have really helped me out of a pickle or two... I believe I have done same.... I do not believe in knowing way in advance that you will need. x and you do not have it so when you do you will just go borrow it from Bob..... If you know in advance like that he rent it from some place or buy it or talk to the neighbor well in advance...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Don't lend much out but have a very few select neighbours that I will lend equipment to. Anyone else just gets told no or it have a flat or is broken and haven't had time to fix it yet. Anytime something is lent out is comes back fueled, greased and clean. I am the same way if I borrow something, goes back better then found.

Usually its nothing major - hand tools or a specialty socket.

If its equipment I usually offer to run it and if I am needing to borrow it I usually ask if they will do it as custom work instead of me running it myself.

If they are borrowing equipment or tools they should have the means to help you out back in return, might be running a truck in fall or helping with equipment clean up.

·
Super Moderator
5,272 Posts
True story!

My dad had a wire roller he bought from an old AGT (Alberta Government Telephones) hand in the 50's for 5 bucks.
I would guess that over twenty farmers borrowed it rolling up old fence lines over the years, dad's biggest problem was keeping track of who had it.

Great visiting device, always took 15/20 minutes when someone came to pick it up and at least 1/2 hour to drop it off.
No charge.
Of course.:)

The last time was about 10 years ago.
Pretty well no fences left in this area.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My dad had a post pounder. lost it for 2 years once, spotted it when on a sunday drive 20 miles from home the guy didn't even know who owned it. He had borrowed it from another guy who had borrowed it from another guy and so on.
Usually get equipment back in good shape but always seems that the next time I go to use it, it breaks down. Wear and tear doesn't always show up right away.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
if we borrow something I always return how I picked it up if someone borrows from me its just the same on the flip side sometimes it will come back windows clean cab clean widows clean better than when I send it I lend out my tele handler lots that my big thing I lend out never had an issue yet

once I borrowed my buddie straight cut header a 25ft 1010 as mine the wobbel box had gone he had finished so borrowed his I picked it up locked it on had **** of time doing it going down the road I hit a bump a for god knows why reason the header fell off n I partly ran over it and totaled the header called my buddie told what had happened he said oh **** how that happen we locked it on any how
I just brought him a anther header 30ft this time with pick reel he was over the moon my thinking is you break it you fix it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had a friend of mine rent a pickup head cutting dry edible beans. He picked up a lump. The slip clutch had been welded together by the owners hired hands. Pretty much destroyed everything connected to the drive shaft. My friend fixed it all with no complaints.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have a select few that I will lend something to, all others the answer is NO! If your in a jam and I have the time I will bring my equipment and run it to help you out. That's the best way I have found to be a good neighbor and not get used in the process.

Backhoes are the worst, I have a really good neighbor that had a nice backhoe that they would lend to just about anybody in the area. Finally a guy borrowed it and dug a pipeline in rock..........broke the 2' bucket and brought it back that way! I couldn't believe it, no one borrows my backhoe period.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I leant a powder river slide gate to a neighbor getting ready to work calves as he was in a bind and his new one had not came in yet. He picked it up, used it, and put it back in place in a timely fashion. A couple weeks later I go to load cattle and notice it has two holes in the bottom. I call and ask him about it. He said in order to make it work he had to blow two holes through it with a torch to bolt it down... I was a bit perturbed. Drove by his place a few days later and saw the new one got delivered. Went and got mine, unloaded it where his new one was sitting, and took the new one home with me. This upset him as mine was a 6-7 year old piece vs his new one. My response was you intentionatly ****** mine up so now it is yours.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
cptusa Thats awsome! I can't belive some people that think stuff like that is ok.

When I would like to "Borrow" I always try to pay for it or trade services back and forth. Its a 2 way street and I will need something and my neighbour may need something at some point in time I will try and do what I can to help out. But would never modify someones piece of equipment to do so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.