The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up if anyone here is thinking about dealing with Leon's Manufacturing out of Yorkton. We bought a piece of equipment directly from the factory 3 years ago and paid upfront for this piece and was promised delivery in 2 weeks. I thought a company that has been around as long as they have been, must be a good and safe place to deal with. Apparently not. After a year was up, I demanded our money back, as our lawyer said because they are the ones that broke the agreement, we were entitled to reimbursement. They pretty much just brushed us off. My lawyer has been working ever since to get our money back. I called the Consumer Protection in Sask., and they guy I spoke with literally said "I thought maybe they had turned over a new leaf because we haven't had a complaint about them for a few weeks now." Unfortunately he said they will just laugh at him if he tries to do anything, the laws are set up to protect places like this. So I then looked them up on the Better Business Bureau, seems they like to conduct business this way, there were many stories there almost identical to mine.

Not sure if I will get into trouble for posting this or not, but from my understanding, it's not slander if I am telling the full truth, so I should be ok. So just a warning to anyone thinking of dealing with them, be very careful.

If there is anyone from the Yorkton area that knows what their deal is, could you PM me or even post it here for all to see.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wow 3 years.....

We bought a blade from them right around the new year and asked for a hard date for delivery because we had to have it in time to push out about a zillion miles of roads and trails to bags for pickup before spring.

Well that date came and went of course and then another whole month and the run around. Finally called the original salesman on the monday and said I was done waiting and if it wasn't here friday I was sending a truck to Degelman and I'd be on their front door step collecting.

Trucker called friday morning apologizing why he couldn't make that day but would be there Saturday.

That was the end of it. Wasn't smooth but we're happy with the product, barely in time.

Wouldn't think twice about buying again, off the lot or cash on delivery....:22:

·
Registered
472 Posts
they have a reputation for being -very- slow with their payments ... and have been put on COD with their steel suppliers ...
i would be -very- careful dealing with them ..

just looked up their BBB rating , lol it's C minus

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bought a pull behind blade from them about 8 years ago. Told me they would phone when it was done, should be about two weeks. Didn't hear anything for months. Phoned them, told me it would be another month or so...still did hear anything.Finally almost a year later went back, said they couldn't any proof that we had bought one, the guy we bought it from had retired. Left them a copy of the cheque that I had from my bank, hooked up to one of the five they had in the yard and waved them a one finger salute on the way out of the yard.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Is he going to post and equipment so we know what is there? Its a long drive for me but for the right piece that's free, well I hope Kevlar is buying beer too!

In all seriousness how close to the factory are you? I'd head that way with the cancelled check, sales invoice and whatever you need to get your piece home, tell them you want your piece or you want your money back and you're not leaving without one. 3 years is well past the point of my patience.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Kevlar I could have told you this.
This is standard way of operating for them.
You definitely aren't the only one.
Lots of horror stories around dealing with them.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how does a place like this keep going? I'm partly to blame for not doing a Google search on them, but a guy thinks that a business that has been around for so long and has a good reputation (or so I thought) of equipment. The factory is only about 3 hours away, and keep planning on going for a road trip, but life gets busy and I honestly forget about it. It came to mind again yesterday when I was having coffee with mom when she asked me how we were making out with the scraper, thanks mom for ruining my day!

Sounds like I won't get any results without paying him a visit in person. Guess I know what to do on the next rainy day, if we ever get one. Over a month and counting since the last shower.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Kevlar do you have the form A contract farm machinery sellers are supposed to use?
Might be worth a call to the the farm machinery board in Regina.

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
Sad to hear this, about 30 years ago at Agritrade I met Mr. Leon himself, old at the time I couldn’t help but admire his enthusiasm for his product and agriculture in general, it was so refreshing.
Sure he wouldn’t be happy by this turn of events.

·
Registered
472 Posts
it's just simply a business to stay away from now, sad but true ..
it was different when Leon himself was in charge ... it's like they actually don't understand [or care] how much this sort of thing hurts them .. there are other choices out there by the way ...

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Sad to hear this, about 30 years ago at Agritrade I met Mr. Leon himself, old at the time I couldn’t help but admire his enthusiasm for his product and agriculture in general, it was so refreshing.
Sure he wouldn’t be happy by this turn of events.
I remember the same and would have been back in 1980 he was at the Farm and Ranch show in Edmonton, dad shortly afterwards bought a 3000 picker thru UFA.
Sad when things change like that. I am actually surprised to hear some of the stories here, hard to believe they can keep going if they operate in such a manner.

Anyone know if they still build the Ram labeled hydraulic cylinders or is that someone else now?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Got a friend with a similar story about a manure spreader, but I never heard how that was resolved.
Hopefully this works out for you.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
The yard at the plant has some fabric cover over the fence now.
So I cant tell if Kevlar scraper is sitting there or not.
That's what drones are for. This sounds like fun, maybe the combine forum re-union we have been trying to plan for years.:wink:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts