The Combine Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts

Been building this fuel trailer on rainy days this winter which there haven’t been many, 2000L tank , will be 12v pump for now, will have ‘pelican’ space case on goose neck with batteries in and a solar panel on the lid, went with the dolly style design as nothing annoys me more than trying to hook up a loaded bogie trailer in the dark , not all vehicles have reverse cameras.
It won’t carry tools as the fuel trailer isn’t always in the field .
Hopefully got a bloke coming to blast and paint it this week

·
Registered
223 Posts
The question was asked at the start of this thread about justifying a heated shop. Here's my spin on that question, your paying for one anyhow, along with all the tools needed for every project when you take your machines in for repair, you might as well have the heated shop on your own farm and have 24/7 access to it.

The next question was, how do you tackle the more advanced projects...................... I'm not sure there are any advanced projects, only more time consuming projects involving more parts and steps to complete. It really doesn't matter if your doing oil changes or a complete engine tear down and rebuild, they all require steps to complete some just have more parts and steps to get done.

I've always done the majority of my repairs, not because I wanted to, but because I had no money and had to, being broke constantly doesn't leave one with many choices if you want to stay in business and keep operating.

I now have two sons in the repair end of industry you could say, one is a heavy crane and heavy equipment mechanic for a larger company and the other one is a machinist doing head, line boring, cylinder boring, crankshaft machining and engine rebuild type work. Both have good jobs with good pay and after all the years of doing my own work and having family involved in the repair industry as well, the single thing I have learned after all these years is this, the work being done, weather its on your own farm/shop or in a multi million dollar shop uptown somewhere, is only as good as those doing the work and that's as plain and simple as it gets. I always figured I'd do the best I could do to fix whatever it was needing fixing, its only after all those years before it dawned on me, I really do care about my equipment and how it gets fixed and do the best job I can to put it back together, nobody else really cares, to them its only a job and that job is only for 40 hrs a week. They could care less its going to rain in two days and I really need that machine back working to get done before the rain hits, I need those machines running and to be able to finish up by Sunday, this Sunday, not weeks from now or a month from now.

I have friends on the repair side of business, basically they're mechanics and shop foremen, they've always told me most business's have a common unspoken slogan they all operate by, "we cheat everyone equally" and when I'm told of the all the screw jobs each business has given customers over the years via shoddy work or fraudulent billing, a shop and all the tools in it are cheap by comparison.

Great photo's and great work guys, keep them coming, decades ago I used to think I was the only doing my own repairs, it wasn't until these forums came along I could actually see others do it as well.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I envy the guys with these shops. I will have one soon. I am not scared to tackle anything. For me the perfect size shop is one i could unfold the 5710 54' in and fix every little thing imaginable. Seems when spring comes some stuff gets left always. I would love to strip my pontoon boat down and redo it completely. Add a 3rd pontoon with a built in fuel tank etc. Re upholster it. Winter in the shop is no better place to be IMO. Havent got one yet but anxiously waiting.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Trying to finish up a wetland project in the snow and blew the hydraulic seals out of the side cylinders on the Leon scraper. A little deja vous happening here as they apparently are built by the same company that made those god-awful Morris cylinders... I suspect they will use the same bypass to work the off-load gate after the clam is fully lifted, or is there a relief valve in that control box to control that? ...
IMG_4529.JPG
IMG_4527.JPG

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Trying to finish up a wetland project in the snow and blew the hydraulic seals out of the side cylinders on the Leon scraper. A little deja vous happening here as they apparently are built by the same company that made those god-awful Morris cylinders... I suspect they will use the same bypass to work the off-load gate after the clam is fully lifted, or is there a relief valve in that control box to control that? ... View attachment 161125 View attachment 161126
I’m not sure on the exact plumbing of your scraper. I rented a Leon about 15 years ago and I remember that the apron and push off were on the same circuit. It wasn’t the handiest setup. My Toreq is plumbed separately for the bowl, apron and push off and much easier to use I find. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Those rams, they would be made by Ram Industries correct ?. My understanding is its a connected company to Leon Manufacturing.
Yes same outfit different division same owner.
They are operating out of the Leon main plant as the Ram industries/ Maki building had a fire last winter.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Oh, so they don't call themselves Ram Industries or is that still another division as per your link. I know it seemed totally confusing a few years ago when I tried to deal with them on some rams for yup, a Leon scraper and came up empty handed and frustrated with the company"s"

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Crap.... I dropped them off at the dealer we bought it from in the 80's ... apparently they haven't been a dealer for about 30 yrs so I was getting a lot of blank stares. Hopefully they can work it out.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Oh, so they don't call themselves Ram Industries or is that still another division as per your link
With that outfit and all their financial issues who knows???
Only used to be two divisions, Leons manufacturing & Ram industries then the retail arm was split off or got a name change to Maki.
Its all the same outfit.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
At least the guy at Maki who you call to get cylinders repaired or parts isn't too bad to talk to.
Some of the previous staff were terrible.
I refused to go there for about 10 years.
Last couple visits been ok.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Wellllll, they better still be on warranty :LOL:
Yea, I think we ( local farm conservation group I chair) bought it new around 1986 or 87. Pretty sure this is the first time we've touched the hydraulics (other than hoses getting ripped off) so it's actually done pretty well. If it does get a little pricey to fix at least it isn't coming out of my pocket this time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
View attachment 160686 View attachment 160687
Been building this fuel trailer on rainy days this winter which there haven’t been many, 2000L tank , will be 12v pump for now, will have ‘pelican’ space case on goose neck with batteries in and a solar panel on the lid, went with the dolly style design as nothing annoys me more than trying to hook up a loaded bogie trailer in the dark , not all vehicles have reverse cameras.
It won’t carry tools as the fuel trailer isn’t always in the field .
Hopefully got a bloke coming to blast and paint it this week
Will look good with a coat of jam on it!

·
Registered
109 Posts

Got it painted and put back together before harvest, a project started and finished within a year is a miracle for me..love it so far, Rubbish bin drum on the back for empty stubbies and grease cartridges , note the aluminium steps on the side are from 20 series combine bought from a wrecker make for a nice touch.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Is there any danger of the hitch hitting you in the face if you lift it too high, causing the pivot ball to go reward of the wheel bearings?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is there any danger of the hitch hitting you in the face if you lift it too high, causing the pivot ball to go reward of the wheel bearings?
not really the pivot ball is 100mm forward of axle, you have to lift A frame about 1400mm before it over centres

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trying to finish up a wetland project in the snow and blew the hydraulic seals out of the side cylinders on the Leon scraper. A little deja vous happening here as they apparently are built by the same company that made those god-awful Morris cylinders... I suspect they will use the same bypass to work the off-load gate after the clam is fully lifted, or is there a relief valve in that control box to control that? ... View attachment 161125 View attachment 161126
I have the same unit. I didn't find a safety valve there.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts