The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On our 590r half of the work lights on the top front of the cab do not come on. The inside lights come on and the next two small square lights to the outside of the center lights do not come and the most outside square lights come on when itmis in the field mode. In total there are 4 lights that do not come on with the light switches. I could not find a burned out fuse. Could it be a relay or circuit breaker? Does anyone have any thoughts what might be wrong? Thanks SouthernSK

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
When you tip the roof up, those lights could have unplugged, it happened to one of our 595's once. They are a real PITA to plug back in and the wiring is very short that's why they unplug in the first place.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I also am wondering why it burnt out. I will be interested to see how long the fuse lasts.
Started having melting problems around fuse for front lights in my 480. Replaced a couple of fuses and realized that if this continues that it could melt out a part of the main circuit board. Got checking into it and found that the wire running to those two double 55 watt headlights was about 18 gauge. 55 watts X 4 lites divided by 12 volts = 18.3 amps. That should have at least a 12 gauge wire. There must be a shortage of copper in Germany! Same rule as house wiring apply- 15 amp circuit needs 14 gauge wire (at least), 20 amp circuit needs 12 gauge wire. 30 amp circuit needs 10 gauge wire and so on . The short version is we added 2 continuous duty relays mounted in the roof of the cab and ran 2 separate 10 gauge wires right from the battery, via circuit breakers and disconnect switch, to the relays. The trigger for the relays is now the super light wire that used to run the lights. End of problems, period. And the lights are brighter. It really pi$$es me off that we pay half a million dollars for one of these machines and then have to redesign some of this JUNK! What is it with these engineers, do they have to skimp on copper to justify their ever increasing salaries??? And we wind up with the resulting problem. I thought they went to school to learn the facts about things like wire size and the current it could carry. Hope that helps SSK. By the way , I wondered if I had a short or some problem. There is a situation in a couple of the top front lights where there is bare connectors inside the light housings that can short out. I don't think that was my problem but potentially could cause a short so you might want to check that out. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.