The Combine Forum banner

201 - 204 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
It would be interesting to know why that impeller bearing failed. Any evidence of something wrapping in there or not getting grease? Probably hard to tell on the grease thing once it fails. Auto greaser?

Took me two years to hit those kind of hours, that's quite the harvest season! How wide of an area do you travel to get that amount of work?
Auto greasing is working fine, both times I picked it up as a change in noise when changing cylinder speed.
We work in a 30km radius of home, I did get a sub contractor in to help on one job, but being so dry here it just worked out for us. Just as well because this next harvest will be over in a couple of week if we get rain soon or over in a couple of days if we don’t

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Is your belt feeder hydraulic or spring tensioned?
Heard at AIM new model will be spring tensioned.

Don’t know but your description of APS feeding action suggest it likely would fix THAT feeding issue. But would the ZAPS cause APS wrapping in haywire type crop material? Don’t know that either.
You certainly should try a set and report. Problem is...next year crop condition could be completely different. But I don’t believe there would be any functional downside.

The high wear you experienced cutting right on the ground is soil acting like sandpaper on cutting components, Crary guards will significantly help wear, shatter and cleaner cutting at speed.

Thanks for the through report!
We have the poverty pack, it’s just the draw bolt tensioner, I didn’t realise there was any other option.
If the ZAPS help to stop back feeding I really can’t see why you’d have an issue in any crop, all you would be doing is calming how aggressive the APS feeds the main cylinder, I’m pretty sure that where I came unstuck this year. What sort of price are the ZAPS costing you over there / zap?
Have you used the Crary guards yourself Don?

·
Super Moderator
3,036 Posts
We have the poverty pack, it’s just the draw bolt tensioner, I didn’t realise there was any other option.

If the ZAPS help to stop back feeding I really can’t see why you’d have an issue in any crop, all you would be doing is calming how aggressive the APS feeds the main cylinder, I’m pretty sure that where I came unstuck this year. What sort of price are the ZAPS costing you over there / zap?

Have you used the Crary guards yourself Don?
Ha ha, poverty pack!
You didn’t have the poverty pack (Claas offer such a thing?!) I get the feeling spring tension is the only way belt feeder has ever came, indicates that belt stretch is minimal. Do you remember how often you adjusted it?
Seems hydraulic tension was HP steel chain only.

Actually, I just studied a parts list, it doesn’t look like springs are employed, strictly draw bolts. That correct?

I’m pretty sure feeding would be fixed with ZAPS as well, the 63 ZAPS wide body kit is 1500’$’s. I believe narrow body is 56 pieces.

Yes, I run a complete Crary setup. Virtually eliminates in field (paddock) knife maintenance, Cuts clean at speed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Ha ha, poverty pack!
You didn’t have the poverty pack (Claas offer such a thing?!) I get the feeling spring tension is the only way belt feeder has ever came, indicates that belt stretch is minimal. Do you remember how often you adjusted it?
Seems hydraulic tension was HP steel chain only.

Actually, I just studied a parts list, it doesn’t look like springs are employed, strictly draw bolts. That correct?

I’m pretty sure feeding would be fixed with ZAPS as well, the 63 ZAPS wide body kit is 1500’$’s. I believe narrow body is 56 pieces.

Yes, I run a complete Crary setup. Virtually eliminates in field (paddock) knife maintenance, Cuts clean at speed.
I’ve adjusted the belt twice before the bearing was replaced, working on the third slat into the feeder house being 5mm off the floor, and I backed it off slightly when it came back from the dealer.

201 - 204 of 204 Posts