The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there alot of guys running cat around and can you get an honest opinion if they really are happy with there service?

if so cat would be a good choice...if not go deere.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Wanted some input here from some unbiased people. We are runnin a 07 9660sts right now but thot we could use a little more capacity. How much more will a 570R do than our machine, if any? One other problem is our closest CAT dealer is a little over an hour away. Am I stupid for thinkin about it or not?

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Yup I agree as well. A 570 will be alot bigger capacity than a 9660. I would consider a 9770STS

·
Registered
619 Posts
Lets say every owner is generally happy with their Lexions....there were times this year I'd have taken any color combine on particular days. Yes, I believe for the most part owners are happy with their combines. I would say this from experience....dealer support is huge no matter what color....they all break, and all have good points. We have a strong relationship with our Cat dealer and feel like we get VIP treatment, however, it comes at financial price when they show up so quickly and bring the best of everything when you are down. I would say capacity is good, they are maybe a little touchy to set, especially if you get into crops where maybe hail or some other mother nature cause abnormal conditions/weeds/wild oats something that might be considered not real good conditions, we tend to have issues in not tough conditions but in abnormal conditions. The Lexion is comfortable....middle of the road cab, average bearing life, very good wear on major wear points like auger flighting and such. Very good on fuel, and descent lights if you get the HID light package. Grain damage is not quite as good as a true rotary, but for the most part we think anybody would overall enjoy and be proud to own one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
570R will eat up and spit out your Deere.....and save you 1/3 gal/ac fuel in the process. There really is no comparison once you get it set up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Service and parts should be your first consideration, thats why after 25 years of running a Deere a had to switch.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL i wouldn't say there all just happy as heck....also Service and support and resale are all togeather anymore when were talking the kinda money he is on buying a combine...

that why i said talk to local guys and should have said look in your local trader mag and sales at the resale of lexions as well...

when spending that much money its always good to look at the main thing....

Money!

Some area's they might do as well as deere and case but alot of area's not so much...

just depends on where you live

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you watch out a bit and take care of maintainance you can be lucky and dont need service or parts in the 1st years.

We ran a Lexion the 6th Season now and didnt have to call the service guys a single time this year...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
In most areas the resale on the lexions is very poor. I would suggest that if you are looking to run a lexion, that you either buy a used machine (because it is so cheap), or you lease or rent a machine for the first 1-3 years and then you do not have to worry about the terrible resale value. You either get another lease and a new machine, or if you decide to go to a different color of combine, you do not have to worry about poor resale on your lexion trade.

The lexion combines seem to be very well built and have tremendous capacity, but they do have a very high operating cost due to the poor resale. If you are in an area with a very aggressive cat ag dealer, you may have better resale than most areas.

Protect yourself from financial loss if you are not sure which brand of combine is for you.

I am seriously considering a 590r for my operation, but I will definately buy used or lease new.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hold on there. I can give you the phone numbers of at least 3 former Cat owners who will tell you why they were not happy with their combines and traded to another color. Some of the issues were not a huge deal but when amplified by the lack of parts and service it was enough to make them switch brands. True, every brand has problems but when the service and parts support is as bad as it is for Cat around here the machine has to be next to perfect for a farmer to justify owning one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree service and support are critical things to consider when buying a new machine. That being said if you are looking for more capacity from a walker and would like to stay green have you looked at the T670's. They had one at the Red Deer Farm show and it looked pretty good. Anyone have any infield experience with these machines?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I ran one for a few days this year in spring wheat. Wasn't a problem to keep up to a 9860sts, particularly after dark or in tough conditions. It can be pushed very hard and will not throw grain out. Sample was very clean, especially compared to the 9750s I was running with. With a high inertia cylinder and 50 more hp it would be a VERY big combine.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Never seen a jd conventional that didn't seed in the fall. Straw walkers are old technology that is good for baling and that's about it. We will never go back to straw walkers for this reason. Just my opinion. oh yeah the amount of cracks used to be really bad to. We ran nh's not deere though. I don't know why but the lexions don't crack hardly any.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If you like your 9660 but want a larger combine, try a 9770. Very similiar, just larger. It won't have the low horsepower problems your 9660 has.

·
Registered
275 Posts
A local guy in my area went from a Deere to a CAT, but still was not happy. Now he has a New Holland and seems to really like that machine.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
We went from NH to cat and have never been happier. It also depends on what model a person buys and what they are trading in. My personal belief is that JD makes good combines they just don't have the biggest capacity. There is no doubt in my mind that a 570 cat will do as much as a 9770 let alone a 9660. But the dearler support may not be as good depending on who your dealer is. A lot of people just chip their deeres to get some extra ponies. If the 9660 and the 9770 are the same size combine, sieves, hopper, unload speed then that is by far the cheapest way to gain capacity.

·
Registered
85 Posts
On our farm we run Deere and have very good luck with them except this year we had a few problems with them but nothing major just a few bearings. Service is excelant called up one morning and they were out in no time. Resale for us is excelant, traded machines this year and they had about 1000hrs and got a littleover 200,000 for them. Ran 05 9760's and traded for 9770's. One of out neighbors is in the process from switching there farm from red to green because of the service and are very happy with them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In my opinion as far as capacity and grain quality in most conditions a 9660 will not even come close to a 570 cat. I don't think in our area a 9770 would keep up to a 570. But I can also tell you that hands down the cat dealer does not have the parts and service support that the deere dealer has. Parts are also more expensive for the cats.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts