The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues with the top variable speed pulley falling off on a 585 header drive. It keeps breaking the cap bolt behind the hydraulic piston which holds the pulley onto the shaft. Then if you’re real lucky it all falls off 🤦🏻‍♂️
Only get around 50 hours run time, check it and bolt head has broke again…
Anyone found the cause for this? Before I rip it all off and put a fixed speed set up on.

· Registered
184 Posts
Our 585 did this 3 times. Only with the chopping corn head that was very worn out and dull. Went through the corn head and knock on wood it hasn't happened since, however I am also contemplating just going fixed. Or upgrade to the HD with the support bar between the 2 pulleys. Be sure to replace the belts when this happens as they stretch and cause vibration.

· Registered
2,964 Posts
Our early 740 with variable I think is layed out the same way as the late 500 series feeder drive. I added the stabilizer bar to it from a salvage machine, without changing pulleys or any major parts. I don't know what is wrong with your machine but the bar could be added if it would help.

· Registered
184 Posts
Our early 740 with variable I think is layed out the same way as the late 500 series feeder drive. I added the stabilizer bar to it from a salvage machine, without changing pulleys or any major parts. I don't know what is wrong with your machine but the bar could be added if it would help.
Good chance it can't be added depending on the year of his 585. It can not be added to ours.

· Registered
184 Posts
For what reason? Do you have pictures of the pulleys?

No pictures but due to the shape, style, etc of the pulley it doesn't fit. It's a different pulley then the ones with support bar. I've had my service guys look into it as well as several of the "smart" Claas guys on the Facebook page look into it. Can't be done, need different one. The lower one is the same the higher one is the odd duck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.