The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one else having a issue sourcing more liberty ? As in BASF is only allowing you 1.35 L acre based on your total seed purchase …

So your second pass just isn’t happening according to the suits @ BASF ?? If my canola has a weed issue because of the great conditions 2022 has gifted me … it’s on me ??

this will look really good on your seed sales for next year … fkn clowns … and when more liberty surfaces of course it will be 25$ an acre … make a artificial shortage , double profit ..… thanks BASF,

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh , I see I’m just late too the party and this has been in the rumbling since last fall … my bad , I’ve got 20 barrels of liberty in my shed … gonna sell it and Buy BASF shares …

I’ll take 3000$ a barrel, but maybe 4000$ Once the wind dies down … can’t beat em join em

·
Registered
814 Posts
What are the legal ramifications of selling seed and not providing the chemical to grow it properly? If you have to spray it with old canola chemicals before hybrids does that mean it should have been priced like polish canola...would only seem fair to give a guy half back on his seed cost??? Fat chance but will definitely put a sour taste in farmers' mouths I would think going forward.

·
Registered
474 Posts
As is the case with most things now it’s all COVID’s fault. If maybe these woke CEOs had been working on the problem since last fall instead of working from home hiding under the bed maybe they could have come up with some solutions instead of just excuses.

Been told the same thing by my retailer as of late when the truck showed up in my yard with a third of my order that was bought and paid for last fall.This after just a couple weeks ago they were telling us the supply issue was under control. I could have maybe sourced some product elsewhere, albeit at a higher price.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If everyone would stop buying there products problem would fix itself.
This all started in October when they changed rebate programs.
Then they where short seed.
Next they raised Liberty price and then they cut everyone’s Liberty orders in March.
This company clearly has a different code of ethics then most people or business runs on.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It don’t matter the company anymore, they are all crooks. Don’t matter the color or the make either.
Real sad how we are the backbone to this world and get treated like no buddies. Hate to say it but maybe some should starve before realization is actually realized.

When you look at the example our leadership is setting is it any wonder?

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I've been told FBN has quite a bit of Glufosinate ammonium 150 in stock. I'm sure it foams like crazy like the old Liberty used to. Has anyone tried it this year? Other than differences in the adjuvants and surfactants in the formulation I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Are the other generic versions out of stock as well?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bet BASF saw the shortage coming before most people picked up their seed. They kept quiet and let farmers spend millions on their crops based on a proprietary system that requires their chemical for effective weed control. I hope they get sued when someone has a wreck because of their poor business ethics.

They should refund 50% of the cost of seed at minimum. Why should we pay $700 a bag for canola only to be forced to rely on one pass of the low rate of a finicky chemical?

I wish I'd bought RR this year. Even the Clearfield system would be an improvement and it's garbage.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I asked for enough liberty to spray twice early in fall and offered to pay. One pass at 1.35, one at 1.62. Retailer said we'll have lots for you no problem, don’t worry about paying. Delivered it couple weeks ago. All I got was 1.35 for one pass. Called and asked WTF. He said sorry that’s it. Someone was lying to him last fall or he was lying to me. PMO

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I grew Dekalb. I got all my generic 2 passes from my retail. He said lets get it now last fall and I did. Obviously he had a crystal ball in his small retail where other big players didn't. I think someone was getting played. Buteo on my seed with dekalb and no flea beetle pressure. No stress here. Everyone sticks with the so called big yielders that in the end don't do any better than the next variety with all the extra headache of flea beetles..

·
Registered
171 Posts
I grew Dekalb. I got all my generic 2 passes from my retail. He said lets get it now last fall and I did. Obviously he had a crystal ball in his small retail where other big players didn't. I think someone was getting played. Buteo on my seed with dekalb and no flea beetle pressure. No stress here. Everyone sticks with the so called big yielders that in the end don't do any better than the next variety with all the extra headache of flea beetles..
Sounds like our retailers are on the same page. I did the same thing.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Buteo on my seed with dekalb and no flea beetle pressure. No stress here. Everyone sticks with the so called big yielders that in the end don't do any better than the next variety with all the extra headache of flea beetles..
In the early going this year it looked like Buteo was going to be our saving grace. While all the Prosper guys (including us) were spraying beetles, the Buteo folks said they had no pressure. Unfortunately that changed and those acres still needed to be sprayed a time or two. So I don’t think Buteo is going to be our silver bullet going forward.
I have zero love for BASF, I reluctantly grow it because the shatter tolerance is excellent. As a result of that, we get more yield in the bin every time here, and MUCH less stress in the fall.
I’m very much looking forward to the competition catching up.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Been growing some Brevant varieties last few years and have been impressed with their performance; yield and shatter resistance. As a matter of fact I grew very little Basf this year. That being said Brevant hasn't stepped up to the plate to supply me with herbicide either, Liberty or generic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts