The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a set of Speaker HID lights on my 8820 to try to improve night bean cutting with a 25' platform. Mounted one to the left side of cab on ladder platform, and the other on right side on the walkway platform in front of engine compartment. It turned out to be a $625.00 mistake! Dust coming from the feeder house turned into an almost complete white-out. Trying to use them in corn with a six row head is even worse. Can someone advise me on how to improve the night visability with these HID's or the originals? Friend of mine put same HID`s on his 9500, mounted cab-floor high and loves them. He even turns off originals and just uses the HID`s. I have checked alternator and batteries, they are OK. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wwas going to say it will always be a bit of a problem with the dust boiling out of the feederhouse. But I doubt it puts out any more dust than your friends's 9500. they surely must work better when you have a breeze that carries the dust away?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would have thought the ideal place for them to be mounted would have been up high. Like on the front edge of the cab. They need to shine from above the worst of the dust, not into it. Now with that said, I don't know how your friend gets along with his mounting location.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Get them out as wide to avoid the feeder house dust especially in front of the engine . If it is the dust from the crop hitting the auger on in the head it would also be good to move them up a little to get the lights away from the dust as much as possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We mounted the HID`s where we did based on friends advise, and as a matter of quick convience. I realize now they need to be up high, as all newer combines are, but this does present a problem on an 8820, as to where and how to mount them on the front or side of cab. Anyone have Ideas on updating the existing original factory lights? Are brighter bulbs available?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I mounted 2 extra lights (non-HID) on my 6620. I made a bracket to mount them to the windshield posts. One above the mirror on the left side, the other the same height on the right side. I attached the brackets with self-tapping screws. I wired these lights with a separate circuit. They sure make a big difference.

·
Registered
719 Posts
John Deere has LED lights in there winter catalog. They would be good because they don't draw much power and would mount right where the factory lights are. We changed the lights on our 8820's and had trouble melting light switches because of the higher amperage draw of the brighter halogen lights. Even after we wired half the lights to a seperate switch, we still had trouble with switches, just not as often. I don't know how well these LED lights work, but they might be worth looking into. If they are anything like an LED flashlight, they are frickin bright.

·
Registered
719 Posts
We did have push-pull swithches in but maybe they weren't rated for that many amps. We don't have the combines anymore.

·
Registered
632 Posts
We had 3 ordinary rectangular lights mounted on the very far forward top of the cab roof and they were controlled by a separate toggle switch for less electrical load on the main switch.
They provided good lighting.

There is a co. that makes feederhouse dust diverters I've seen that look good.
http://www.wajohnson.com/dust_diverter.php

There may be others out there as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts