The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to upsize my harvesting capacity before next fall. And I'm trying to decide if I should go with a 2188 or 1688. I don't need the 21series cab improvements (that doesn't help capacity), but the upgrade from the 7 bolt to the 13 bolt final drives on the 2188 is something that I need to know more about. Was there a big problem with the 7 bolt units? Could they handle the weight of a 36' draper and bin extensions?

I would rather save my money with the 1688 and spend the leftover $s on improvements like an AFX rotor and bin extensions, rather than blow it all on the 2188. But if the axles are weak on the 16 series would I be better off spending the money on a 2188, and forget about hodrodding it for a few years?

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: Limited funds, 1688 or 2188, final drives ques

This is my opinion only.
A 36 Ft draper is to much for a 1688 or a 2188 regardless of how you have it set up.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts

My opinion is that our 30' 1010 is to small for our 2188, we run 6+ in 50bu/acre wheat, we could go faster but we are limited by the sickle. If a draper feeds like they say it does and 36 feeds as easy as 30' of auger head then it is definately not to much for a 2188. I run both the 21 and the 1480 and the newer cab is waaaay nicer on long days. I don't think that you will see a big capacity increase from one to the other. If you want bang for your buck, get the 1688 send your injectors to dynomite diesel and ask for 75hp. It costs $50 an injector plus shipping and they extrude hone, pop off test and flow match your injectors. You will save a ton of fuel and get more done. We saw about 1 mph more and 10-15% less fuel burn when we had the 50hp done. You can turn the screw up if you still need more, but honestly in wheat i'm scared to run more through...i just think how [email protected]# long it would take to get it un-slugged if i had to. Also add the Kile rotor flight kit for $995 and save the other 4500 from the AFX. If you can afford those upgrades and the 2188 i love the newer cab, and it will have better resale, but if you are looking at what it will cost you today i would stick with the 16 since they didn't upgrade to 13 bolts till '97 and the bring a premium over a '96 or '95.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Combine world has some 2388's priced decent. Also a few goin through RB Auctions the past month that were reasonable. None were perfect but hours weren't bad and as you know if you if you run red already they are not to much $$$$$$$ or time to rebuild compared to buying one that is supposed to be field ready from a dealer or paying double at a farm sale!!!.
I run a 36' HB on an 02 2388 w/hopper topper.
It is to heavy!!!!
Feeds better and can travel faster than a 30' 1010.
Can't lift it all the way up to get header lock on and just barely get transport kit on to move. Needs the 3rd ram kit and you MUST run at least 16 ply bias or min 3* radials .
http://img42.imageshack.us/i/dsc05536g.jpg/
http://img37.imageshack.us/i/dsc05537i.jpg/

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the replies, Regardless of what I get that extrude honing of the injectors has me intrigued. I just wish there website talked a bit more about non-truck applications. I looks like they are defiantly worth a call.

According to the Combineworld website all of the 2388s are sold, but I keep them in mind for the future. I hate buying equipment at consignment sales. That's where all of the problem machines that no one wants to take responsibility for selling usually go. But I plan on attending a pile of farm sales this spring. Hopefully I can find a good machine at one of those. Price will probably determine what i get

As for the 36' draper, that is what most guys with 21 and 23 series machines run around here. I think the dry climate at harvest lets you put more material through the machines on the western plains.

I talked to the local CIH service manager about the 7 bolt drives and he said that they are not in the shop anymore than the newer ones and that he wouldn't be concerned about loading them up. So maybe my worry is all for nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have sat about 2500 hrs in 1688. Not a huge jump in capacity in 21 and 23, but better hydraulics. I'm gonna go to a med hour 23. Nice base for hoppin up. Cannot wait to have better visibility and faster hyd and 36ft. They will run a lot of hours. I've seen a few with 7500 hrs on a custom harvest run and still lookin good.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Slipped my mind. I've put 2 finals on my 1688's different combines though. I have owned 3.

·
Registered
134 Posts

I thought they later 1688's had the 13 bolt final drives. I'm almost positive of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts