The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

It's been a while since the last post p, had a bit happening but getting things done. We are tossing up the idea of buying a linkage spreader for top dressing pastures and crops with urea etc. we don't do no till CTF but the seeder is 7m and boom is 21m but when it comes to pasture we just need to cover hectares as quick as we can.

To begin with I was looking at a used amazone zam ultra 3000 which is listed at $18500 + gst but after a trip into the local deere dealership who sells kuhn gear they quoted $22000 + gst for the same spec spreader. It has rate control but not scales. To upgrade to scales takes it up to $24,700+gst. For those who have scales, how accurate does it make it? If you have a 20ha paddock and you put in 2 tonne and tell it 100kg, will you get your 20ha covered (or near enough to it)? Would you get scales again?

For those without scales, why didn't you get them? Will you get them on your next machine?

What widths are people spreading urea at? If I can get 30m when doing pasture work then it can make a big difference to my ha/hr. We can have some pretty windy conditions when we will want to spread.

Any suggestions or comments about which spreaders to look at is appreciated. I am on a bit of a budget but at the end of the day I don't want a lemon.

Cheers

Mark

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
G'day swoopa, I'm running a Kuhn 50.1 with scales and I'm very happy with it, recently upgraded from a Kuhn 40.1 no scales but I was also very happy with that and it's accuracy. You could put 20 tonne @100kgs over 200ha with that thing and only have 20kgs to spare. I only upgraded for a larger hopper and scales just seemed like the next step to. I guess the only real advantage with scales I can see is I no longer need to calibrate when I change product, saves some time. I'm setup with the s8 discs which gives me urea coverage of 30m suiting my tram tracks, however it flings single and heavier products out to a comfortable 36m, this is all easily and accurately adjustable. I think Kuhn have now been accredited to accurately throw urea to 36m with the s12 disc. The reason I went with Kuhn in the beginning was build quality, a rough neighbour of mine has a 15yr old one and it's still going.
Anyway I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been quoted $27k for a kuhn 30.2 with scales and rate control but I think extensions etc are extra. I talked with a local dairy farmer who puts urea out like it's going out of fashion and he used to have a amazone but changed to a kuhn because he didn't rate the spread pattern and finish of the amazone.

Do you take much notice when you are loading up and load according to paddocks etc?

Also, do you just load the spreader straight out of the truck with an auger/conveyor or store it in a silo/bin? What about loading fert off the ground? We have a pad where we dump out super phos based fert blends for our pastures so just wondering how they will go with a little bit of dirt/trash.

Cheers

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi,

It's been a while since the last post p, had a bit happening but getting things done. We are tossing up the idea of buying a linkage spreader for top dressing pastures and crops with urea etc. we don't do no till CTF but the seeder is 7m and boom is 21m but when it comes to pasture we just need to cover hectares as quick as we can.

To begin with I was looking at a used amazone zam ultra 3000 which is listed at $18500 + gst but after a trip into the local deere dealership who sells kuhn gear they quoted $22000 + gst for the same spec spreader. It has rate control but not scales. To upgrade to scales takes it up to $24,700+gst. For those who have scales, how accurate does it make it? If you have a 20ha paddock and you put in 2 tonne and tell it 100kg, will you get your 20ha covered (or near enough to it)? Would you get scales again?

For those without scales, why didn't you get them? Will you get them on your next machine?

What widths are people spreading urea at? If I can get 30m when doing pasture work then it can make a big difference to my ha/hr. We can have some pretty windy conditions when we will want to spread.

Any suggestions or comments about which spreaders to look at is appreciated. I am on a bit of a budget but at the end of the day I don't want a lemon.

Cheers

Mark
Mark, i recently priced a fully loaded Amazone 3200, rate control, border shut off, integrated with our 750 screen. $32000 +.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Swoopa. A buddy of mine has an Amazone 8200 model. He says he can spread urea to 36 m, at up to 40 kph. It has all the bells and whistles on it.
Amazone are supposed to be the ducks nuts!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mark, i recently priced a fully loaded Amazone 3200, rate control, border shut off, integrated with our 750 screen. $32000 +.
Was that with scales? I run an autofarm a5 for steering so it will be another monitor in the cab for me...

For those running amazone spreaders, do you get any ridgeing/waving in your crop when you spread urea at 36m? If it's linkage, what speed do you run? It's normally pretty windy when we want to spread urea so to get a better distribution (even if the machine can spread 36m) are you better off going 24 or 28 or even 30?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Was that with scales? I run an autofarm a5 for steering so it will be another monitor in the cab for me...

For those running amazone spreaders, do you get any ridgeing/waving in your crop when you spread urea at 36m? If it's linkage, what speed do you run? It's normally pretty windy when we want to spread urea so to get a better distribution (even if the machine can spread 36m) are you better off going 24 or 28 or even 30?[/QUOTE

That quote was With scales. They tell me there will still be a monitor in the cab but the gps can do everything - auto shut off, speed, etc.
Have a mate with a 4200 at young, he tells me he's very happy with the spread pattern and he's pretty picky.
I'm on the same boom width as you, can't decide how I'm going to attack the paddocks as I've been religious at staying on the same spray tracks for 3 years.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Both Amazone and Kuhn make great spreaders, they are very common here.

The spread quality and spread distance however will come down to the conditions, how well setup your machine is (worn vanes don't help) and in particular the quality of the material being spread.

Only the best and most consistent particle sizes will throw even 24m, throw in a breath of wind and you can get some serious striping. 36m is possible but again you will want a sensible product, it is not common to see people wanting to spread fertiliser that far.

You can increase your forward speed if you are looking for maximum output, I would be hesitant to tell anyone to use wider bout widths, particularly in pasture where wheel marks aren't such an issue. Might differ I guess if you guys aren't applying the sort of quantities we are.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Anyone have any experience with 'Rauch' spreaders? Guy selling it claims 36' meters with it, has the scale and what not. Anyone know what kind of price these are new? No one really sells this type of stuff here, this is a european guy whose started a little dealership here where he brings stuff over from Europe and resells here.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Swoopa. A buddy of mine has an Amazone 8200 model. He says he can spread urea to 36 m, at up to 40 kph. It has all the bells and whistles on it.
Amazone are supposed to be the ducks nuts!
My ZGB-drive 8200 only claimes 30m of urea. Would like to know how he achieves it, I go at 24m for CTF .

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
I got a Lely, holds 2t of urea and spreads 24mtrs. You can go as fast as you like with it, limited by ground conditions. It can pour the fert on if you want to. I don't see any need for scales, you soon work out your rate.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I'd say if you are going to load product of the ground, go with scales as they will keep your rate true if there are any lumps and bits. I'm spreading urea 30m comfortably and very evenly anywhere from 60kgs to 110kgs at speeds 15 to 20ks.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
do they have southwest winds when doing 36m?..i would have thought that be a stretch down our way...also flat moree country versus undulating....

for the price difference Mark those scales will only need to be handy on the odd ocasion over ten years to pay for themselves...especially if u can cut calibration time out.

some of the dairy cockies here drive into vickeries fill up weigh off and go!...in the bloody tractor...

Ant...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
some of the dairy cockies here drive into vickeries fill up weigh off and go!...in the bloody tractor...

Ant...
We are going to go with a Kuhn with scales (30.2W) because it makes it that bit more accurate and also resale, in 5 or 10 years time everyone will want scales and you won't be able to give away a spreader without them on it. We will be loading super off the ground to spread on our pastures in the autumn but all urea will either come straight out of the truck or a field bin to keep it off the ground.

Nields do the same thing at their depot at kirkstall (or they did last time I was there) but I'm not sure if Brian keeps urea at Macarthur. It would be handy if he did for when I want some to spread at my block down there.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Like your thinking Mark ..at $2,500 extra...figure it as a 5 year to pay off item (theoretical) but its $500 a year to have scales...you will most likely get a fair portion of that $2,500 back upon re-sale because of the feature...

I think the overall price isn't that bad, surprised me TBH...given it can be a fairly well used item down here...and no doubt the odd custom job will show up as well...

might be able to get like the POMS and spread all fert and sow seed only if soil indices are right...

Ant...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I finally managed to get our new Kuhn 30.2W linkage spreader hooked up and loaded up and chucked some super out. All I can say is jeez I'm glad I went with scales, best money spent. I've been loading off the ground with our old new holland and you get back into the spreader tractor and the computer tells you how many kg you've put in, how many ha you can spread etc. you get out to the paddock and hit the start button and off you go. I was spreading 200kg/ha of super at 36m at 27km/h and just loved it. Autosteer made life a **** of a lot easier.

The only thing that it doesn't like is a bit of grass or weed that has grown on my super pad (where we have dumped fert for the past 30 years). Whether we look to pour some concrete and put up some bunker walls will be a case for the minister for finance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts