The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses a Field grain belt to load their air seeder.
I'm trying to speed up fill times and make it easier for the guys filling themselves at night. Currently we pull up near the truck, set up air seeder auger, move truck into place, run around like blue arse fly climbing up and down, some bits run by remote and some still are manual..about 40 minutes later we have our 20T loaded.
Would like to park the truck and belt auger on the headland and drive the air seeder straight in underneath (tow between)and load totally with remotes out of a belly dumper trailer or a conveyor bin out the back on a semi.
I've heard this is common in Canada.
I guess the downside is having to shift the belt auger from paddock to paddock, probably behind the truck and having to set it up, but at least the drivers won't have to worry about it and hopefully we can load in half the time with little effort.
Is this being done and is it a good idea.
Cheers Doc

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I used to load out of two tip trucks but used the air seeder auger to load. No reason why you could not tow the belt behind the tipper or belly dumper to move it around. thebook.bz is a good resource for ideas to see how the Canadians do it. Have you thought of the Trufab chaser setup with two augers? There are some mean belt setups on aircarts around the prairies.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I worked for a guy last spring who used a brandt 15/45 conveyor. It was the fastest loading time that I have seen, He was pulling a 65 ft bourgualt drill we would pull past the conveyor until the drill was lined up with the front tank than move the conveyor in until it was in to the hole, mark a spot on the ground move conveyor past/over the tank, line up semi to the mark then move conveyor under the trailer. Once front tank was full he would move tractor and truck for back tank. He also had electric Shute openers with a remote for the trailer. When done unloading he just drove away with tractor

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to load out of two tip trucks but used the air seeder auger to load. No reason why you could not tow the belt behind the tipper or belly dumper to move it around. thebook.bz is a good resource for ideas to see how the Canadians do it. Have you thought of the Trufab chaser setup with two augers? There are some mean belt setups on aircarts around the prairies.
Nig, we have duals on the air seeder and the chaser can't reach. Just like the idea of the tractor driver pulling in underneath the conveyor then operating it all from the top of the air seeder. These air seeders are so big now and I reckon we are we aren't doing them justice with our fill times. At the same time having gear that we can utilise all year round, 5 in 1 bins are just a bit old and tippers in our country are a recipe for a disaster..

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You are Borden way aren't you; pretty nice country, its one place that would make me shift from where I am. Capacity is everything these days, mine auger like you is my limit but I don't have the acres and the pressure. I use a belly dumper in a B train arrangement with a flat top with UAN tanks. One person can do fuel, liquid, compound and seed in 40 min (14t cart) but they have to run and have two things filling at a time. A few guys over here have permanently mounted two augers on the side of their carts to fill seed and fert at the same time. It would halve the fill time. I have a tow behind bin and place two witches hats paced out beside the truck to perfect the spot and I can do all four products without shifting.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I use one too. A 55 foot Elias reliabelt that will clear a 40 foot drill to the running gear. So I am able to drive under with the conveyor set up and under the truck and the drill unfolded. I have one of those longer no-snag auger spouts on it for small adjustments. Don't even start the truck to move it even. I've loaded 340 bu of peas and fertilizer in 12 minutes including using peat inoculant on the seed. Plus I can use the conveyor year round in the bin yard too.

Have a new cart with a mounted auger now. Pretty sure it won't ever get used and might even get taken off.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
We are using Brandt 1545 with mover and an old sand frac Tri axle trailer which has 9 compartments and belt conveyor running underneath. Loads really fast. Currently looking at adding remotes for compartment gates. Like the fact that we can use the Brandt for both unloading and filling tender trailer.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I bought a batco 1545 field loader for filling cart .... I filled my drill this spring and fueled
The tractor in under 15. Minutes at 3 am... I use a Wilson grain trailer with electric traps I also have a LNG spout so I pull under the middle hopper then I can hit any three of the bins and just have to move the truck when switching hopper. I just need to fig out how to open and close air tank lids and switch from one hopper to the other without moving then I can quite giving so much money to my orthopedic surgeon....

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds like the idea has been well and truly tested. Just spent the last three days at AgQuip and both Batco and Brandt had there field conveyors there and the 45ft belts seem easy to move and narrow enough to tow behind a semi.
What's with all these compartments on Airseeders these days, we are Seed and MAP, single shoot but have 5 compartments, I reckon this is one of the reasons it takes so long to fill..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use one too. A 55 foot Elias reliabelt that will clear a 40 foot drill to the running gear. So I am able to drive under with the conveyor set up and under the truck and the drill unfolded. I have one of those longer no-snag auger spouts on it for small adjustments. Don't even start the truck to move it even. I've loaded 340 bu of peas and fertilizer in 12 minutes including using peat inoculant on the seed. Plus I can use the conveyor year round in the bin yard too.

Do you apply peat innoculant to peas on conveyor?Do you get even coverage applying this way?I always thought you had to use auger to get innoculant mixed in.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Do you apply peat innoculant to peas on conveyor?Do you get even coverage applying this way?I always thought you had to use auger to get innoculant mixed in.
I do. just out of the truck and into the beaver tail. Works well enough I guess. By the time they roll into each other on the belt as it goes in the tube, hits the top hood, drops down into my spout and into the tank I think it is well mixed. Then as the cart tank empties it also mixes again because they pull from the middle and down through a lot of the peas.

Have yet to find a poor job in 3 years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.