The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get yield map data and if farmers are using a certain company/platform they can't export or get at the data. We cannot use a picture! a .pdf file is a picture - just an image like a photo! It is not the underlying data points you can put in a GIS system and start evaluating the data. Those are things like shape files (.shp .shx .dbf) they contain a database of lat/long coordinates and yield point data associated with it. I would like to hear from people using various platforms for data collection... can you get your raw data files out?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Climate Fieldview we can access the data if the farmers shares it (plus we are building an api to connect directly).

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Well, some of us are getting around it..... Free satellite, background image easily edited. 90,10 rule. 90% of the benefit with 10% of the work and no cost. Did binary fungicide last summer with it. Worked flawless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is a great way to do in-season fungicide prescriptions - but what else would you use it for - and you can't measure yields by it.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Not really a concern. I know where the good parts of the field are. like i said, 90% for 10 percent effort. You can do anything VR on it you want. USing RGB you can run 3 different rates simultaneously. There is absolutely no reason to make things complicated.

Hey, where did the video link go?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
In regards to your original question - of course they won't. Its very valuable. Why would any company allow you to access to it?

Bigger question, why do farmers pay to give it to them?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
So I take it FE captured the yield data and not the actual display? I can see that alright to try and hook a guy to use their prescriptions. Kinda makes sense from their perspective. Total BS on the farmers side.
That said wouldn’t the farmer 1. Have his display unlocked for yield. 2. Have an actual yield map? Or did he just let FE take over?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Yeah that is annoying. But Farmers Edge collects their data from the combines. Just go directly to the machines to get the data. I don't think you need it to be in real time to make use of it. After the fact is fine.

But you certainly could get yield data out of a PDF, or any other plain image. It wouldn't be very high resolution, and the geolocation would be poor and not automatic. But it could be done. You have to have to know the approximate color scheme, and you have to manually geolocate the image. Could convert it to a shapefile with a script.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Well not entirely. You could have yield monitoring unlocked and have no monitor plugged in except FE so there would be no record but theirs.

·
Premium Member
8,108 Posts
Yield maps have to be the most useless data available to farmers, but very valuable to those higher up in the food chain. I just used an elevation map off the combine today to line up some drain tile work, that's 100% more useful that the last 13 years of yield data I have collected and done nothing with. Every year I can tell you something went on in a field that renders yield data as being bogus it seems.

Why anybody continues to do business with FE is beyond me.

Brian is all that fancy gadgetry that you spent untold amounts of time on available for sale yet? For those of us that are incompetent with tech but still want to give the big companies the boot.;)

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Brian is all that fancy gadgetry that you spent untold amounts of time on available for sale yet? For those of us that are incompetent with tech but still want to give the big companies the boot.;)
It's not for the North American market because it is free. Seems that way anyways. Boards and parts produced all over the world, and used, but not here. I find it a tad frustrating/confusing/sad. Other farmers around the world are far more creative then us, perhaps out of necessity.

Cory, if you have access to the raw data, isn't that all you need?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not for the North American market because it is free. Seems that way anyways. Boards and parts produced all over the world, and used, but not here. I find it a tad frustrating/confusing/sad. Other farmers around the world are far more creative then us, perhaps out of necessity.

Cory, if you have access to the raw data, isn't that all you need?
Well of course I do not subscribe to their platform but we have many VR clients that do. So you have to "request" to get the data because you cannot access it in their platform. So a person usually emails you a pdf for starters - which is basically a piece of paper with a picture on it. Then we have to request for the actual raw data - and then you wait again and maybe get an already worked up shape file of low resolution polygons. You still don't get the "RAW DATA' - the actual data that was recorded without any work ups. We cannot analyze detailed trials and site specific data on what they send. But back to my original point - why do we even have to ASK? why can't the farmers just access their own raw data files?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Well of course I do not subscribe to their platform but we have many VR clients that do. So you have to "request" to get the data because you cannot access it in their platform. So a person usually emails you a pdf for starters - which is basically a piece of paper with a picture on it. Then we have to request for the actual raw data - and then you wait again and maybe get an already worked up shape file of low resolution polygons. You still don't get the "RAW DATA' - the actual data that was recorded without any work ups. We cannot analyze detailed trials and site specific data on what they send. But back to my original point - why do we even have to ASK? why can't the farmers just access their own raw data files?
@CropProCory Because it isn't the farmers data. They have agreed to that in the terms and conditions set out in the End User License Agreement of the software. Just think of how much data gets sent home from your smart phone and is shared with commercial partners and you don't have a clue what it even is.

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Farmers edge is a huge terrible scam.

Just steal your farm's data and make you pay for them to do it on top of it all...

Farmers need more education on data, data sharing, and how important and valuable their operations' information is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts