The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally don't get too concerned about fuel prices but have read recently about several farmers(from the U.S.) that are locking in fuel prices for 2015. It seems that around $2.00 per US gallon is achievable south of the border but prices here are still way more than that. I asked my two local fuel suppliers about hedging the price going forward if it should happen to drop to an acceptable level but they can't do that, if I want to lock in the price I would have to take delivery now. I have a decent amount of storage and went into the winter empty but they can only get winter fuel now anyways.:(

So has anyone imported fuel from the states? Does anyone in Western Canada lock in prices? Maybe waiting a bit will be the right thing to do but if I could get heavy diesel for the price that I am hearing about only a few miles south I would fill now. Just wondering what your guys thoughts are, no complaining please.;)

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
The terminals are controlling the price based geographically..

Watching new stations talking about 2 dollar gas... Also shows u the price of diesel. I have enough storage for almost the entire year... Notil.. Don't use much..
Neighbor contracted for 2.59... I will fill up under 2 for sure.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I would wait. Few guys I have talked to (that work for various oil companys) figure the price will be depressed till third quarter.

Just my thoughts

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I asked at Co-op and Petro-Canada. I am not interested in filling up at the current prices I am hearing locally but if price got to the equivalent of $2/US gallon(which would be 62 cents/liter) I would be willing to do it. I would import if I can but I don't know if someone can do that? I thought somebody on here may know the answer.;)

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I can buy #2 dyed farm fuel for $1.84, fieldmaster for $1.89 right now. 4000 gallon minimum delievery. It will equal out to less after m coop patronage dividen, 150 south of the border. I would check to see if a coop would deliver.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I believe the delivery truck, has to have the ability to pump off in Litres....or u use ur own fuel truck....guess some of my pals living close USA border do indeed either or...I can get details...I investigated the bulk delivery and the litre pump off I'm 99% certain of

·
Registered
313 Posts
I know a guy with a company out of winnipeg that is just finishing getting setup up to bring US diesel up here. He quoted me .68 a couple weeks ago and said they were going lower so don't buy yet. The only problem is I don't know if they have brought any up here yet. There is a lot of money behind the venture so I imagine it will go ahead at some point and they are telling me I can lock in prices for summer unlike my local coop.

They were originally only going to bring up semi loads thinking they could get away without the trucks being converter to litres and they couldn't do more than one drop on a trip. I think that has all changed and they said they could deliver like any other fuel company. I guess we will see.

I will try to find their info next time I am at the farm.

·
Registered
89 Posts
filling your tanks with winter fuel to be used in the summer won't work , i think buying crude oil options is a good idea, the problem with that is the timing, or when to buy, could buy the futures out right. can't be much downside left, take the money you make to buy the fuel at the proper time.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Clear diesel at the pump $1.939/gal, regular gas $1.949/gal at Buc-ee's in New Braunfels, TX. Only place around here that diesel is cheaper than gas that I know of.
Wish I could get prices anywhere close to that back in Saskatchewan.:mad:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
filling your tanks with winter fuel to be used in the summer won't work , i think buying crude oil options is a good idea, the problem with that is the timing, or when to buy, could buy the futures out right. can't be much downside left, take the money you make to buy the fuel at the proper time.
Why is this... Its straight #2.. Just don't fill the take full, so there is room to expand...
I think I could put it in a tank and it will burn..

Your right on likely the price will be lower later...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.