The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there has been any companies started to bring drivers back into Canada to fill seats , I haven't seen much advertised on the likes of kijij . Has the oil patch picked up at all
I'm guessing since there has been a new president elected in the USA oil expansion might of picked up in Canada , there was talk of a pipeline being constructed from
Alberta to Houston Texas!!
And with the new rule changes are lmia's now impossible to obtain as a long haul driver .

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Heard on the radio the other day unemployment in AB was just under 9%. Have a BIL who runs push truck and has been busy because a lot of projects he's involved with were on the books before things went sideways. Have some other family running vans and flatdecks and there's been a lot of lay offs with more to come as the ripple effect keeps happening.

Having said all this I'm of the opinion a correction was overdue.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Apparently Canada needs 60,000 truckers...

My son is hauling sand and such around Northern Alberta and hasn't had a day off since the third of January.

·
Registered
674 Posts
the big trucking companies always advertise for drivers,
most custom truckers I talked to this year are more busy than usual trucking grain around.
have a company driving with our corn to Saskatchewan and bringing canola back.
He says they've never been so busy and tried to avoid hiring more guys but he said they were falling behind (weather didn't help much either in december they said)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's good to see some companies busy on national work which would only be open to Canadian residents and citizens most jobs for temporary foreign workers would be interstate, and driver would need to be able to cross the border south into the states .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently Canada needs 60,000 truckers...

My son is hauling sand and such around Northern Alberta and hasn't had a day off since the third of January.
. but with no young people wanting to enter the industry !!and the restrictions on bringing in temporary workers especially for long haul as its a way of life there will continue being a shortage .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts