The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody im looking to do a trade up I am currently running a 1460 w/17.5ft 1020 and a 2188 w/ 30ft 1020 I've been looking at 8010's and 7088's I plan on running a 35ft 2020 I am kind of leaning to the 7088 because what ive read and seen its just like the 2188 as in rotor drive and cad. what do yall think would be better? and what do I need to look for? I know to stay away from the blacktop 8010s but a dealer said it has all the 2008 updates on machine and software updates but what do u guys think I want to make sure im not making a mistake im looking for a machine to last me for years ive had my 1460 since 1998 it has 8000hrs my 2188 since 2002 it has 5000 hrs

·
Super Moderator
5,041 Posts
I can tell you an 7088 has a much bigger change of being trouble free for the next decade as compared to a 8010.....the 8010 is about 100x more complicated
I assume you mean chance not change.

100x eh?
I had friend that would make some ridiculous statement but immediately follow up with "but I tend to exaggerate!"
My friend is gone now but thanks for the smile fj.:)

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I'll never own a 8010 or 7010 more then 1500 hours,,, a 7088 were slight engine problems, but the same basic machine.
Our 7130 has more HP with the new style engine and would keep with out chipped 7010... But would have a cleaner sample and less losses.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I assume you mean chance not change.

100x eh?
I had friend that would make some ridiculous statement but immediately follow up with "but I tend to exaggerate!"
My friend is gone now but thanks for the smile fj.:)
I had the privilege of working with an older Hungarian Millwright in Southern Alberta many years ago, who was the same way. Good memories. It's where I always used the phrase, "If I told you once, I told you once." just to get a little dig at him.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
So mechanically, the 8010 is actually quite a bit simpler than the old 88 series. Fewer bearings, fewer moving parts. Seems to hold up and work well, except the chopper bearing issue, which is the weakest part mechanically of the whole machine, IMO. On the other hand, the 8010 is electrically more complicated than the '88. Electrical problems can arise and they are quite hard to track down, and when they occur they can be intermittent. Of course the 7088 has quite a bit more electronics on it than the old 2188 had, and the current 7140 is probably just as computerized as the flagship now.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Don't mean to sound like a prick here but after running a black top 8010 ( witch I know they came a long way after them ) I would have taken a 1480 in trade in a heart beat. Weather anyone wants to hear it or not the 7088 is a glorified 1480 but the point is it works, it works so good they still use it after all these years, who's going to be able keep one of them 8010s in the field after 30 years, imagine the oil leaks, the electrical problems, all the extra monstrosities it took to replace something as simple, proven and efficient as rotor belts and shives. Why did they spend so much time trying to reinvent the drive system but made no serious improvements to how it thrashed grain. If you liked 2388's and such follow that path and go for the 7088

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I guess "simpler" is relative....... I'd say belts, pulleys and chains are pretty simple. CVT drives, slews of gear boxes filled with pressure sensors, solenoids and valves, hydraulic lines and hoses running everywhere....now that is what I would not call simple. I'd argue that just because it has fewer bearings and moving parts does not make is "simpler". Just my opinion. As far as 8010 "holding up well", I'd say that would not be the opinion of a lot of owners or mechanics. Our 7010 sat on the dealer's lot as a used combine for 3 years.... I mean, really....is this what you would describe as simple?

Id say this is a lot simpler......

OK, come on, really? Pull a drawing off CIH's of their rotor and post it or pull the side panels off your JD and photo it. You have a total misrepresentation of anything relevant with this post. I don't care what side of the fence anyone is on (unless blinded by complete love, passion, and desire for a certain color), you have to see there is no form of a logical comparison here. Entertaining yes, useful no.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
We've had flagship machines for about 6 or 7 years now with few (chopper bearings!) major problems of any kind with mechanicals, hydraulics, or electrical. Started with a 7010, trading to get more capacity since then as we've expanded.

Farmer Jones, I can't let you spread FUD about the Case hydraulics without protesting. The nest of hoses in your picture is actually really simple, logical, of clean design, and easy to trace in just a couple of minutes, because they chose to put all the hydraulic pumps in one place in this design. It looks *much* more complicated than it actually is. Simply put it's about 4 or 5 individual hydraulic pumps (some are stacked) and drive dedicated circuits. It's not a spaghetti mess, and it's not complicated--I know because I've gone over the hydraulics as I was concerned like you apparently are. To the OP, go down to the dealer and have your salesman open the side panel and take a look for yourself if you're concerned. Some circuits are 3-hose circuits with a pressure, return, and case drain lines. The main valve block on the left side of the combine is pretty much the only multifunction valve I can think of. It controls the feeder up down, the auger in out, steering all from the same circuit. The other circuits are all single function if I recall. I can go take a look if the OP needs more information.

Despite your diagram being simple for Deere's mechanical power flow, things are still very cramped under the shields. By comparison it's very easy to access bearings, belts, and pulleys on the Case and things are open and accessible, even the hydraulics. Hydraulics turn out to be extremely reliable. I don't know of any flagship combines in my area that required repairs to the hydraulics. Honestly I haven't even heard of a leak, other than one I had once which turned out to be caused by the hyd filter body that came apart. The only major mechanical repair we've ever done was chopper bearings (the weakest part of the machine). Haven't ever replaced a belt, and can't think of any other bearings on the combine itself we've replaced.

Case combines have their own frustrations for me, but hydraulics has never been any of them.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Any combine color, make, model, ect. is going to have a breakdown sometime... I'm sure the Deere has plenty of hydraulics to leak also.

I'd go with a XX88 myself just because it would be very similar to what I'm running now. (Also have an IH 1460.) However something like a flagship wouldn't scare me off either. If you ever think that 8010 is bad for hydraulic look at an Oxbow pea combine, the whole works is hydro driven with the exception of the fan on the front end of the engine. Plenty of wiring on them too, the older red ones had 2 computers, the newer yellow ones with the CANBUS system have 7...

For anyone who hasn't seen one of these machines... Used to be a mechanic for a canning company that had a bunch of them.

Oxbo 6165 Pea Combine

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
You'll notice the above Case owner has validated my exact point....
Are you referring to me??? For your information it wasn't the combine or any other piece of red paint that made me switch colors, it was the dealer.:mad:

I am not naive to think that any combine won't give trouble at some point. They are all way too complicated whether it's belts/chains/gearboxes/hydraulics/emissions/computers.....

I understand the point you were making, it is valid. But you have to admit that you CHOSE a much less threatening picture for the John Deere....didn't you?;););)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You think 7 is a lot?!? :eek: LOL. When my Deere boots it's 34 controllers on the CANBUS network!!!!!!!
Not sure what counts as a controller but it was 7 boxes scattered around the machine, each one would do around 5-8 functions. They also had fuse boxes for each one, and the ones behind the wheel fenders caught it the worst with the damp pea silage that would pile up in that spot. More like blowing your combine full of silage and keeping it wet for 2 1/2 months. At least they got blown off before each road move with a big air compressor.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Why do you guys let fj get under your skin? He is a young fella that was givin a free jacket by John Deere and possibly some glasses to keep the chaff out of his young eyes when he opens the rear ladder on his combine. When he starts to loose an argument, he threatens to leave the forum and asks his family if he can someday actually own a combine and not just run them. I read his comments with interest because I believe he is passionate about the green team, which I admire. My jaw drops some days, when he bashes red or yellow, or in general, he makes comments towards other posters such as "your comments are laughable". So I am asking everyone to please go easy on him, until he grows a set. You guys are all farmers and work hard and make decisions to buy equipment that you like, so why waist your time defending your decisions to a guy that won't listen to common sense. Imo

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.