The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should be looked at closely? Any special things that wear quickly? General advice about combine.
Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
How many hours does this machine have? What does the outside look like(paint, tires, etc.)? This should tell you alot about the machine.

Does it look like this?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has 3500 hrs. Paint is good but decals have something to be desired. Have only seen pics at this point. Not fimaliar with John Deere combines past old model 95 that my Dad used to run years ago. (Reason for asking what to inspect when I go to look.) Have been running Gleaners since then but now need one machine to do what I used to do with 2.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm assuming it has rasp bars rather than a spike tooth cylinder. I would check the rasp bars and concave through the rock trap opening. Check the shoe augers for extensive wear under the concave if possible. Check the clean grain and tailings elevator chains to see if they are worn out or paddles missing. Check the clean grain auger and tailings auger under the chaffer. Check the chaffer swinger arms to see if the bushings are worn out. If one of these comes off it will eat into the body of the machine. Experience on that. Look at the flighting on the cross augers, loading auger, upright and unloading augers through the inspection doors. Inspect all belts for excessive wear and look at all sprockets for excessive wear. Sharp teeth on the sprockets will not only mean the need for new sprockets but more than likely a new chain also. Look for any oil leakage anywhere on the machine. Around motor, under trans and hydrostat. Check all the fluid levels. Hydraulic, motor, radiator, hydrostat, reverser, planetaries and rear 4wd motors if equipped. Look over the feederhouse for any stress cracks since these machines aren't equipped with contour master. Check the feederhouse chain for extensive wear. There are doors on top and underneath to inspect the chain. Look at all bearings to see if there are any worn out or going down bearings. Check the wood blocks on the straw walkers by pushing up on the walker. If there is movement, then the block is more than likely worn out. Check the straw chopper blades for extensive wear. If they are worn then they will need replacing along with the washers. Check for any stress cracks on any part of the body and around the pivot point on the rear axle. Inside the cab, check A/C, radio, wiper, lights, tachometer, gauges, etc.... Start the machine and turn it on. Run it at open throttle and have someone else or yourself listen for anything hitting or any vibrations sitting in the seat. Look for any excessive exhaust smoke or blue smoke. Motor could be hurt.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Looking at 1988 8820 Titan II

Thanks Titan II. You got a Great looking machine. How many hours on it? How long u owned it? All help appreciated !!

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Gee, Green. I thought all this time, you had seen/read 8820's posts and great story of this 8820's rescue and restoration. It is here on the John Deere forum. You would never know it now, but that very 8820 he pictured, was once beaten, neglected and literally left for dead.

I know you will really like the Titan. I've run them on harvest and they are superb combines. If yours needs a new feeder chain, be sure to get one from Manchester. I cannot say enough about their products and hardly anyone ever talks about Manchester on this forum. In fact, for a rotary Gleaner, I've never seen anything work as good. No, not even the OEM one.

PM me, and I'll put you in touch with the very CH "famous" for the two 13,000-houred 8820's. He can tell you anything and everything you need to know about them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i would add to take a close look at the auger pan under the cylinder for small holes or if it is getting thin, and the tin on the inside of the rear side panels as this can wear thin and rip and cause major grief. at 3500 hours it should still have lots of life left in it. my 7720 II is getting close to 6000 hours and is still going strong.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks Okie. I'm not trying to hi-jack your thread but I want to show you what we bought and where it is now. Something that we have been working on over the last 5 years. It is an '87 model that has close to 4700 hours on it now. We bought it in Aug. of '03 with 3634 hours and extremely beaten down. This machine has gone through a total transformation from then. Here it is. Something for you to consider and compare to and how much work it takes. But worth it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yep we did. I may have mentioned it elsewhere on the forum before.

I hope to add more working pics of it on my 8820 thread sometime.

·
Registered
632 Posts
When looking at the concave make sure it is hanging true where it's supposed to. If not there could be a broken hanger on the outside of the machine. We had this happen twice on the left side of the machine.
Also make sure the straw walkers don't have any stress cracks in them. We had to replace one and later add reinforcements to the others.
We had one of the last 8820's built. We bought it used in '93 and ran it 'til it burned in Sept. 2007 with over 5000 hrs. on it. We had done a lot of work on it over the years and it ran like a top 'til the end. 8820's are very crop hungry and aggressive machines but you need to pay attention to bushings and belt wear before they give problems. We were told by a dealer that the 8820 was probably the best combine John Deere has ever built.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'd check with hillco, see if they can make one. I would think that an lt100 would fit on the front, but the electronics is going to be the interesting part. I have never been around a 6620 sidehill, maybe something from that could be incorporated into it.
What header are you wanting to run?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thanks Okie. I'm not trying to hi-jack your thread but I want to show you what we bought and where it is now. Something that we have been working on over the last 5 years. It is an '87 model that has close to 4700 hours on it now. We bought it in Aug. of '03 with 3634 hours and extremely beaten down. This machine has gone through a total transformation from then. Here it is. Something for you to consider and compare to and how much work it takes. But worth it.

Thats a grand looking Titan, made a great job doing that baby up. Love the old Titan combines.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts