The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 9860 with 1200 sep hours on it. What all should I look at for wear with these hours. I haven't been around an STS so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My recommendation is to go talk with your most trusted combine John Deere mechanic and ask him what to look for and then see if they could go look at it.

I just bought a used 9660STS eventhough I talked with the mechanic who always does my combine inspection, I didn't ask him to go look at it. And now we've found somethings I never thought to look for. The 60 series has a lot of little spots where cracks develop and if you didn't know to look for it, you would never see it.

Some areas I've learned to look at are the contour master feederhouse where it pivots, the backside of the contour plate, feed accelerator, primary gearcase mount, threshing elements, concave wear, discharge beater wear strips, chopper knives, look for cracks around the chopper and tailboard.

This is only a short list, there is much more to look for.

My 2 cents. Fortunately, I've gotten look so far, only $5K spent, but probably another 4-5 to go.

Would alos recommending comparing the price on a new head vs. a used one. The header that came with my 2004 9660, they wanted $24K, but I ordered a new 630F for $29,600.

Semodeere

·
Registered
18 Posts
Run away from any 9860 over 1000 sep hours unless it is REALLY cheap. You can spend 20,000 to get it back into shape. My own experience..... you can thank me later.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Another thought, kscombiner: do you really need a 9860 or would a 9760 work? I say this because of fuel consumption and resale considerations.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
From my experience of selling both 9860's and 9760's yes, they will need the same amount of repairs. The big differences will be fuel consumption being more with the 9860 due to engine size and resale value in my area seems to be about the same on both machines (and in some cases, the 9760 is more desirable).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Stay away from a 9860 there is no more comacity than a 9760, it just burns more fuel and has the power to break belts and pullys.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Obviously you guys have never seen a 9860 Premium. I think we only get those in Canada. One of my customers brought a plain 9860 up from Kansas and it was hardly any bigger than his 9750. Premuim has 425hp, high capacity feed package, stronger concave adjusting assembly and a bunch of other stuff that makes it work well in our tough conditions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I traded the ole reliable 9610 for a 06 9760 STS the other day. Hopefully it was a good decision.
I did look at the 8010, but dealer support is a issue in my area.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The 9860 premium came out in '06 (I think, someone correct me if that's not right) and was made available in Canada and it seems like Deere dealerships in the Reno Branch also sold the premium, if I remember correctly.

kscombiner, you hit the nail on the head. Good machines are good machines, and it can't be stressed enough that dealer support is vital.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The limiting factor on a 9760 is usually the sieves very rarely the engine power, if ur doin wheat i would definetly invest in 36 foot draper header, JD's is well built and solid belts are expensive but if u can figure out a better way to join them u'll get more out of them

·
Registered
40 Posts
i would check the wear on the rotor and concaves it could be a tough 1200 hours try an find out what crops most of the hours were in (if possible)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The combine I bought only has 800 sep hours on it. The threshing elements appear to be in good shape and it has new extended wear small wire concaves in it. The round bars appear to be good also.

I bought a 36ft mac don 974 so I can cut wheat and beans.

·
Registered
40 Posts
sounds good, if it has a chopper on it check the brackets holding it on, u may need to strenghen them up a bit

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It has a spreader. I am pretty sure that I am going to put a redekop chopper on it. Half of what I cut is wheat and quite a few soybeans also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
there are few major things you are going to want to check on that combine. you need to check all the augers and make sure they aren't getting sharp if so decide wether or not they are shot. if you think they will run another year or two go ahead and pull all of them out and tungsten them. it will make them last for another 6 years. you also need to check the top covers on the rotor make sure they are not getting thin or have any holes. make sure your feeder house floor doesn't have any holes in it. If it does go to your local iron shop and have them make a floor out of AR plate. it is about a third of the price as one from JD and lasts alot longer. i think that is most of the major things. if i think of anything else i will let you know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts