The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything I should look for when checking over this combine. I had an 8460 but, it came to a firey end this harvest. My neighbor has this combine and he is retiring this fall. It has 1400hr engine hours on it not sure of the year but I think it is about 15 years old.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe the 8570 production ended in early 1997. My 1997 8780 had 2000 eng hrs had hole worn behind front beater (above fan cage) and the old part was maybe 12gage ? steel and replacement part 1/4" plate with buit in 1/4" wear plate. so 1/2" of metal.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Check production year.

The late ones have 240 hp. Early ones have 220.. 1996-97 are the best years to get.

Front end... check drive shafts from transmission to final drives are tight. Check the rock trap door that it closes properly.

RH side. Check returns elevator auger at the top. Make sure the bearing on the end is tight no play in the shaft. Make sure the metal isn't getting too thin.

While you are up there, check for leaks around the electro-hydraulic solenoids.

Clean grain auger.... at the bottom, it wears quick, check for wear next to clean out hole.

Check the inner half of the fan driven sheave for play. If it isn't greased properly it'll wobble and that's a $300 bill.

back end...

Bottom sieve, check it isn't collapsed, check the rubber aprons at the back that they are in one piece.

Inspect the chopper if it has one. look for any cracks to indicate an unbalanced chopper.

Check the rotor drive motor, make sure it's clean and dry around there. Leaks in that area are bad. Inspect the 7000 PSI hoses that drive it. If they are blistered or bubbling they are $300+ each.

LH side.

Check the bevel gears on the unload auger for excessive wear. Open up the rotor hatches (front two) and see that the grain pan is free of dings, and that the concaves aren't warped/bent/damaged.

Move forward, check the top of the transition housing it tends to wear real quick as chauvin has stated.

Hop in the cab, open the front door on the RH console, check for any mouse damage in there.

Check the brakes work.

Now, hop into the grain tank. Check the tubing on the bubble up... and the bubble up auger, both wear. check that the universal join under that flighting is tight.

That's a good start I think...

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
That's like no engine hours..

I would say. Base your purchase off more of what you think of the neighbor.. If he is good with mantainace and greasing things.. That should be enough.. That's no hours and if he is retiring, you may even rent his land and get combine help when he wants away from the wife..

I would buy it without much a question.. The 8570s are very durable and updatable ..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
in 1992 Massey started adding the updates mid production year.. longer auger, Massey final drives, more hp and slower running engine, if it has the longer auger then it probably has the other updates.. they are easy to see, run the engine and take note of rpm at full throttle(looking for 2200rpm). Not much more was updated on them until the 8780s came out..
a 2 speed gear box for the rotor drive would be nice but rare to find.

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.