The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a newer used 60 ft, 430 cart, TBT, 12 inch spacing, with 6.5 inch concord style packers, in a ATX 700 or P 2060 fold back. Any of you see one of these for sale, please drop me a thread. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Torgersons had one a salesman told me they are going to sell ASAP. I think it is exactly what you are looking for, may get a good deal on it. I didn't want 12" spacing or the wide packers or would have jumped on it. Don't remember the price, it was worth it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have no experience with the 700 drill as there are none in our area because of steep hills. I don't think they make a tractor big enough to pull a 60 foot plus drill in our hills so currently it seems like about 50 feet is the max to efficiently use in our area. On the fringes of the Palouse like Nez Perce and around Spokane they have some larger drills. There is also a new 09 ATX700 at St. John Hardware's Airway Heights store which is just west of Spokane but didn't have a cart with it but they can probably set up something. That drill has been sitting there for a couple years.

We run an ATX400 with 12 inch spacing on 5 inch openers with a 430 bushel cart where we have the big tank set up to run liquid fertilizer. We like its potential just trying to work out the bugs of hills and liquid fertilizer not leaking through the tank conversion.

Our last drill was a Case Concord so we had 12 inch spacing with 5 inch rows with the pneumatic packer tires and liked what it did. Our 400 drill has the semi pneumatic gang packers that the verdict is still out if they are as good in all conditions but they do pack the drill row well.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm going to assume the semi pneumatic on your 400 drill are the 5.5 inch ones. I would also consider a 58 ft ATX 400 12 inch with 5.5 rubber. That looks like a nice setup. Ron can't find a 430 TBT for that drill in Airway Heights. He bought it from the Case dealer in Saskatoon. I asked why he said because it was a good deal. I thought was kind of weird. Basically a new drill it's listed as a 2009 but he say's it's a 2012, he's asking 99,000 for it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
It was my understanding at least last year when we got our drill that the rubber packer wheels like the Concord weren't available on the ATX400 but they were on the ATX700 so that is why we have the rubber covered packer wheels or else we could have probably gotten the pneumatic tire packers for the wet spring seeding conditions we have. What we have seem to do okay its just we don't have much history in our area with that kind of packing wheel.

There has got to be something out there for you. It seems like everyone especially in our area is looking for a specific unique setup that is hard to have sitting on the lot ready to go. We got our drill because the salesman had found an open spot on the production line to build what we were looking for.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your using a Flexi-coil stealth boot with a 5 inch point? That's the other can of worms, which opener is the best for our soil. Seems the openers where you can change points for various situations make the most sense.

·
Registered
598 Posts
We are running Kile openers on our drill. They are 5 inches wide and have a 3 inch sweep at the bottom of the point so work well especially opening up the ground in our wet spring conditions. You are right it takes time to figure what works best in your conditions.

We ran a stealth opener on our old drill that used edge on openers and the main body were cast different than the face on so the points never stayed tight and we lost several points over the life of them. We also wore out the main body with side draft so we couldn't just change out the width of the seed wings and when they were wore they plugged all the time in our spring conditions so figured one set was enough.

Below is a couple configurations of the Kile opener. We run the one on the left except as a face on setup. He has designed several more configurations since that picture.

Dutch openers also have several configurations. What do most of the people in your area use? There aren't many air drills yet in our area to see really what the trend is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.